Chapter Twenty-Three: Thank You for Letting Me Love You

The rain was now furiously pattering down on the glass of my car, soaking the streets and creating a streamlet amongst the curbs

The rain was now furiously pattering down on the glass of my car, soaking the streets and creating a streamlet amongst the curbs. My hands were clenching the steering wheel with my eyebrows pulled together, silently shaking in my driver's seat. It was nerve-racking to actually undergo a confrontational encounter, though, I knew it was desperately needed.

Hence the reason, I kept my attention forward and drove with clear intent, my focus never wavering until I reached the foot of the house. The lights were flickered on in the bedroom window, and Lydia's car was absent like he had told me . I turned off the car and sucked in a deep breath, sitting in the silence just for a moment more as I mentally prepared my words. I was hesitant, seemingly aware that this was a big situation I needed to overcome in my life.

I opened the door and allowed the thick droplets to soak my clothing, feeling my hair collecting every ounce as I sped-walked towards the door. When I reached the floor mat I bought for us, my eyes seemed to linger on it a little too long, mentally asking myself if it was the right idea. However, Bridget's convincing words echoed through the depths of my head, pushing me to raise my knuckles and feverishly knock against the wooden door. There was this silence with the except of the rain, though, the only thing I could focus on was my impending nervousness.

The door swung open and revealed an exhausted, bed-headed Will, his eyes swiftly adjusting against me as he squinted them a little. "Adi?" He greeted with a questioning tone, "What are you doing here?"

"Will," I painfully respired with the weightiness very much prominent in my tone. I crossed my arms over my chest and felt the rain blowing against my body, sending a shiver down my spine,

"I-um. I have loved you for so long, thinking the relationship brought me so much fulfillment. It was simple, easy, something that made my life flow by like a bird in the wind. But, with effortless comings boredom and unfaithfulness. Seeing you with Lydia really did open my eyes to the world and the people I surround myself with. It made me realize that maybe we weren't suppose to be together. Sure it was one of the most painful, heartbreaking thing I had to encounter besides the miscarriage, but i'm sure there was some definite reason that come upon us. You truly did make me happy for the time we shared together, but it's clear that that's over now and the love for you has..."

I trailed off, taking a deep breath, "it's perished. The very day I found you with Lydia, it's like all my love for you lingered on, but slowly it's disintegrated over time. I know you don't want to hear this, but I just don't feel for you like that anymore. And you deserve to have someone that brings that smile to your face, and treats you good. Because, Will, I cant give that to you anymore."

Will stood there with the pure disappointment and gloom very much evident in his eyes, his eyebrows tensed and his lips pressed in a thin line. "If you have feelings for Lydia, then I grant you my blessing. Because even after all the bullshit and heartbreak it brought me, I truly wish to see you happy. But, I want to thank you for bringing a light in my life when you did, the smiles, the laughter, the joy. It meant the world back then and it still does now."

I provided a soft smile, and hugged myself to retain some kind of warmth. "I wish you the best, and I'm sorry if this hurt you."

Will took a deep breath and observed my expression, his face pulled into a soft, heartening, smile "thank you, Adaline, for letting me love you when I could."

I parted my lips slightly, utterly surprised he reacted in such a subtle, respectful manner. Therefore, leading me to slightly nodding my head and beginning to back away towards my car. It was like as I turned around and relinquished my gaze, this weighty feeling was lifted off my shoulders, allowing me to breathe much easier than before.

When I slid into the car, I glanced over to see Will still leaned against the doorframe. Thus, I friendly waved towards him, waiting until he reciprocated and driving off.