Ponyboy

July 22nd. The day that Mrs. Curtis gave birth to Ponyboy Michael Curtis, her third baby boy. Ponyboy was now one day old and his brothers Soda, who was two going on three, and Darry, who was six, were looking at the new baby cooing in his crib while Mrs. Curtis was resting in her room and Mr. Curtis was reading the newspaper. "Why's he so small Darry?" Soda asked without taking his eyes off of his baby brother. "He's a baby stupid." Darry replied coldly and crossed his arms. Darry didn't really like the idea of having another little brother crawling around their already crowded house, taking up more of his parents attention, Soda did that enough. Soda reached his hand between the wooden bars on the crib and Ponyboy looked over at him, his greenish-gray eyes full of curiosity, and held his hand. Soda was elated. "Look! Darry look! He's holdin' my hand!" Darry rolled his piercing blue eyes at his brother's excitement. "He looks just like me Darry." Darry put a hand on the top of the crib and peered over. "That's 'cause he's your kid brother Soda. Your a big brother now. You gotta protect him." Soda gave Darry a funny look. "From what?" Darry ruffled his little brother's hair. "I don't know. You just gotta be there for him." Soda nodded and looked back at Ponyboy, who was napping quietly, sucking his thumb. Mrs. Curtis peered around the wall, watching her boys. "Let's let him sleep." Darry whispered to Soda. Soda nodded and put a finger to his lips. He then turned to his little brother and gave him a light kiss on the forehead. Ponyboy yawned and smiled. Soda's heart melted at the sight of his little brother. And from that day forth he swore to protect his little brother. Even if he didn't know exactly what he was supposed to be protecting him from.