.prologue.

.prologue.

Laughter, music, and the buzzing sounds of joyful conversations enclosed the room. Shades of red and gold were woven into celebratory decorations and carefully placed. It was Thor's pre-coronation celebration, a great day for the kingdom of Asgard, that is, if you ask anyone but Loki.

He stood off to the side, hidden in the shadows, green eyes observing his surroundings. His mother, the Queen of Asgard, was laughing alongside her friends meanwhile King Odin and Thor, who had a huge grin on his face, conversed with the nobles. These particular parties never caught his interest, but as the brother of Thor and second in line to the throne, his presence was necessary.

Feeling a steady gaze on him, he turned his head and froze in shock as a pair of familiar, mismatched eyes greeted him. His eyes raked over the young dark-haired woman, not believing what he was seeing. She hadn't changed a bit, yet there was something different about her and Loki could not determine it.

"Sage," he murmured a ghost of a smile on his face as she came to a halt, right in front of him. "After all this time and now you come to visit?"

"I couldn't miss your dear brother's ceremony." Her voice dripped with heavy sarcasm.

"That big oaf?" He scoffed in distaste, gesturing toward Thor, who was proudly showing off his armor to the noble women. "A bilgesnipe would make a better leader."

Sage laughed and Loki smiled. He had not realized how much he had missed her, despite him referring to her as a nuisance when they were young. She was the only one who understood him and a small part of him hoped that, that hadn't changed due to her absence. He wanted to ask, to know the truth behind her leaving, but refrained himself from doing any questioning. What good would it do to dwell in the past when he could focus on the present and his future.

"What do you see in Asgard's future?" Loki suddenly asked, his eyes drifting to Thor, who eagerly conversed with the council alongside his father. For a small moment, his eyes flashed with envy. It was quickly replaced with what could be best described as admiration.

Sage followed his gaze and pursed her lips. He was one of the few to know about her special ability, and it had become custom for him to indulge her. However, a lot has changed since they were young. Long gone was the naive seer who saw her ability as a gift. The universe's cruelty was harsh in revealing it to be a burden instead.

She turned to him, arching an eyebrow and teasing him lightly. "Curiosity killed the cat, you know."

He silently questioned her words as he approached her slowly and precariously, his casual Asgardian armor glimmering under the light sky. "But satisfaction brought it back."

She couldn't help but notice that there was something different about him this time. She frowned, repulsing at the familiar feeling of knots tightening in her stomach.  Asgard's future was the root of her seer problems. It's the reason why she had to leave.

Loki noticed the change in atmosphere, and instantly regretted his question. By the look in her eyes, he could sense that she was struggling to find a way to answer. He was expecting to hear the usual "I see a bright future," but when she finally did speak, he heard the exact opposite.

"I fear that Asgard's future is no longer certain."

**

"Lady Sage!" Thor exclaimed, pulling her into a tight embrace. "It is great to see you back home! I apologize for not greeting you sooner, but I was preoccupied."

Preoccupied with charming young Asgardian women, Sage wanted to say, but instead, she smiled and told him how much she missed him. As much as he could be arrogant and reckless at times, he had always been a good friend to her.