. chapter III.

a/n: as mentioned before, this hasn't been edited

since before 2017. also, pls don't hate me for making Odin the bad guy.

The room smelled thick and musty, ushered in by the humid weather. Hesitant tears dropped from the light gray clouds, gingerly falling onto the ground with a soft pitter-patter sound. Despite the gloomy weather, the atmosphere was peaceful and quiet.

For the first time in months, Sage was able to feel. Her forehead rested against the cool window pane and she closed her eyes mesmerized with the way it felt against her skin. She didn't fight the tears as they escaped her eyes. Instead, she embraced them, indulging in them just one more time. After this, she promised herself she wouldn't cry anymore. Just as the rain was washing away all remnants of the day, she liked to imagine that her tears were there to wash away her past—all the sorrow and bad memories accompanied with it—to offer her hope.

A screeching sound disturbed the peace and quiet of the small abode. With a sigh, Sage removed herself from the window, heading for the steel kettle. She grabbed a cloth to remove the kettle from the burner and reached for her worn down cupboard only to find a broken mug in her hands. As she looked up, she realized that all of the cups in the cupboard were broken in one form or the other. Settling on one with the least damage--only a small chip on one side, she poured herself a cup of tea and sat herself at the small wooden table.

It had been a long time since her family home has had any inhabitant. After the war, her home was left without its residents. Her poor parents were now recognized the way a fifth of Asgard's citizens were: casualties of war. Her older brother, the one who was supposed to inherit it all, was murdered years before the war. Now, she was left to inherit the family's wealth, home, and business...but it did not make up at all for the heavy loss she felt in her heart.

They may not have been her blood family, but they were the closest Sage ever had to a true family. They took her as their own and welcomed her warmly. Not once did they ever question her about her futuristic visions or force her to do anything she didn't want to do. They regarded her the way she's always wanted to be regarded: as a human being.

She remembered the day she found out her parents were killed. The guards hadn't told her. They only obeyed the King and he had strictly forbidden for her to hear anything from the outside. She found out the only way she could; through her visions.

Being stuck in a cell with nothing but a blank wall and thin blanket, she was vulnerable to ominous thoughts. And this vulnerability made it easy for the visions to come.

In a gruesome way, she saw her parents killed before her very eyes. Her father, the royal family's healer, was on his way to attend to the dying Queen, to see if there was anything he could do to help. He never once suspected of anyone following him until a dagger pierced through his heart. As for her mother, she died when the enemy decided to bomb the church she was seeking refuge in.

If only the King had listened to Sage's warnings, there could've been a way to prevent it all. There still would've been a war. It was inevitable. But there wouldn't have been a drastic loss or massive destruction. She could've prevented her parents' death, even the Queen's, but instead, the King defamed her. He turned all against her for something she had no control over, and she was locked away with her mouth forced shut for what would've been eternity...if it had not been for Loki.

Ever since her imprisonment, she had kept an eye on him. She knew that everything she had predicted was true. He found out the truth behind his birth parents. He made alliances with the wrong people. He was locked away into the dungeons, too, but he was fortunate. When the enemies bombed the dungeons, he was able to fake his death and escape from his confinement.