.Chapter I.

a/n: this has not been edited since 2017 so it may not be consistent with the third movie. when I have time, I would like to come back to this & edit it so it follows the MCU more accurately.

Time. Such a splendid yet antagonistic concept. If you lose its grasp, then you can no longer differentiate its aspects. She feels as if it's been an eternity, but for all she knows, it could only be minutes. Not knowing is the worst.

She closed her eyes for a moment, imagining herself in a small house far off in a rural area where no harm could come to her. A place she could finally call home. It was a lovely house adorned with a vivid garden, full of various flowers and-

A loud, negligent bang interrupted Sage's thoughts, snapping her out of her zombie-like trance. Her whole body tensed, eyes wide in alert. The guards only ever came for two reasons, and seeing as her porridge still remained in the far corner untouched, they were here for the dreaded one.

"Stay back!"

The doors to the plain, miserable cell burst open. Out of habit, she wrapped her arms around herself, trying to offer herself last minute comfort. A few guards filed in, but none had made a move toward her.

She lifted her gaze, eyes widening in bewilderment as she saw the King standing before her. Her mildly surprised expression morphed into one void of any emotion as she realized why it was that after all this time, the All-Father came for a visit.

"Confinement does not do you justice, my dear child." The King spoke, his tone a bit too haughty for a humble man. His eyes looked her over, taking note of her wretched appearance.

Her brown hair was wild and a mess like a bird's nest. The thin, white material that had once fit her perfectly now hung off her frame, barely resembling the dress it once was. And her eyes. Her eyes no longer had the spark he had once come to adore. They withered away in her solitude, leaving nothing but two dull windows to purgatory. Never had he seen such beauty wasted away in the dungeons...

"I have therefore decided to liberate you from your dungeon." He stated as he stepped forward, dismissing all of the guards outside of her cell. Sage did not move. Instead, she continued to study him with curious eyes--as she always did.

The King bent down, leaning toward the mouthpiece that had kept her blood-curdling screams quiet. He whispered something foreign to it, releasing its hold off of her. She licked her lips, rejoicing at the feel of her lips and the clatter of the wretched mouthpiece. She could almost taste her freedom. Almost.

"What say you, to your merciful King?"

The room was silent for a moment. 

Sage had not spoken in so long that she feared her own voice. She cleared her throat. "Merciful?" She questioned in a hoarse whisper. 

"You dare speak ill of your King?"

"I see everything."

 "Unfortunately."

A wicked grin that did not complement the King's face formed. The thick illusion that had once been was now no more, leaving flecks of gold to spiral around them both. King Odin's face began to morph into a younger, more handsome face. His eyes were now a full pair and an enchanting green. His white hair began to fade into a raven black. In a matter of seconds, the dark prince stood in front of her.

"You see, abilities such as yours may fade over time." Loki shrugged. "I simply wanted to ensure if they could be put to use, and more importantly, if they remained reliable."