14. MORAL HAZARD

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
[MORAL HAZARD]

CHAPTER FOURTEEN [MORAL HAZARD]

The house was eerily still. Molly crept inside, the wood panels creaking as she walked around and examined the house.

Molly had been to Bonnie's Grams' house once, a long time ago. It looks much different than it does now. It looked like a normal home, you wouldn't think a witch lived here.

She had no idea where she was supposed to look, but as she continued to hesitantly walk toward the living room, one of the floorboards made a different sound when she stepped on it than the others. It sounded almost hollow.

Molly bent down and examined it. It was a hint lighter than the other boards beside it. She smiled to herself as she lifted the board up, and revealed a dusty red box underneath it.

Molly lift the box out of the ground and sat it in front of her. She didn't like the feeling of going through Grams' stuff, but apparently it was 'very' important to Kai.

She opens the lid, expecting to find the grimoire— only to find crystals and candles. Molly frowns, and began to shuffle through it for anything that might help—

When a glass shatters in the kitchen.

Molly freezes in place, the house falling completely silent again. She slowly puts the lid back on the box before looking around nervously.

"Kai?" She spoke, standing up. "Kai are you here?" No response, she slowly stepped over to the kitchen. A vase of flowers had been knocked over from the counter, and was shattered onto the ground beside it. "Kai this isn't funny." Molly says. "If you scare me I'm not giving you the ascendant." She says, trying to make light of the situation— even though something was very off. She thought for a moment. "Grams?" She says after a quick pause.

Then another glass fell.

Molly snapped her head around to the sound, glass on the kitchen floor a few feet behind her— but that wasn't what caught her eye.

The grimoire was sat open on the kitchen counter, a vial of what looked like blood sat beside it.

Molly's eyes widened. That wasn't there before, she would've seen it. She rushed over to it, and a small piece of paper was tucked in the crease of the book.

Bennett blood is the only way to open the ascendant, don't let Kai get to this. This page holds the spell.
Get out of there.
— Bonnie

Molly reread the note over and over, waiting to wake up from some sort of dream. She couldn't wrap her mind around it, she couldn't let herself think it was true. But it was.

They didn't forget about her.

She grabbed the vial and examined it, a smile forming on her face, and a tear falling from her eye.