Smoshy Beginnings

"What's a Smosh?"

This particular phrase started it all, this line was their intro in their "HOLY CRAP! 2 BILLION VIEWS!" video.

Me, being existential and shit at times, imagined an alternate reality where Ian and Anthony's channel never came to be. They'd probably be regular people working nine to five shifts in offices just like me. *Cries in the corner*

Originally, 'WHAT'S A SMOSH?' was the title, before changing it into 'SMOSH IS GONE'. It wasn't until the sequel that I decided to change the name to 'SMOSH into TIME'.

Being so into the Smosh fandom as well as into the Back to the Future fandom (which I'll forever be part of), my crazy imagination cooked up a story of having Ian and Anthony suddenly wake up in a world where someone had gone back in time and altered history.

You guys probably know me now as a fanfic writer who respects the source material, right? So I used the characters they made across their skits.

Way back in 2011, Smosh uploaded an April Fool's prank video of Ian having an identical twin named Adrian. The video ended with Adrian dying and Ian taking his kidney because the latter claimed to be dying from a rare kidney disease.

So with that motive, I wrote Adrian as the main antagonist of this book, seeking revenge and somehow jealous of the fame Ian has. Honestly it was a terrible motive for a villain, very cliche. But we gotta start somewhere, eh?

But what made it stand out of the Smosh fanfics was that it's something different from all the existing stories out there, it was self aware, comedic, and filled with easter eggs fans of the channel loved.

So in a span of sixteen days, October 13 to October 28, 2014, I published a chapter everyday, making sure that the two dedicated readers, forever_unanonymous and PipPish , were updated and engrossed in the book.

Although I have to admit that I went too crazy with the easter eggs that some people who are not familiar with it felt alienated by the story. The rushed writing also resulted in the lack of character development, chockfull of dick jokes and potty humor, and scenes lifted from actual films.

Before I was so proud of it, and I still am now, but I feel like I could've done better. Hahaha

However, I wouldn't change a thing, because everything triggered a chain of events, a fanfiction trilogy of Smosh going into, through, and against time. A trilogy which, fast forward to 2016, would eventually get noticed by Ian and Anthony themselves and featured in their Mailtime with Smosh'.(4:41)

But in all seriousness, if it weren't for this book and the audience wanting an immediate followup,  I wouldn't have delved more into the Smosh fandom and eventually discover Markiplier, FNAF, Jacksepticeye, and most importantly getting to know you guys! My friends!