Prologue

My name is Grace Emortuus. I went to Death Weapon Meister Academy. I am dead. We'll get to that later though.

Death Weapon Meister Academy, otherwise known as the DWMA, is a school founded by Lord Death, dedicated to the inhalation of all malicious souls aka kishins. But I'm sure you already know this as a student yourself. I attended the DWMA around the time your professor did. He was always a bit frightening what with the whole dismemberment thing, but he was for some reason especially kind to me and so we became friends.

My weapon partner's name was Finn Leona. He and I were a perfect pair. It seemed almost as if our soul wavelengths were puzzle pieces created by someone to fit perfectly together. We went on a mission with Stein and his partner at the time, Spirit, to collect the final soul we needed for Finn to become a death scythe. Stein and Spirit came to help us out. They did.

But I never went home.

It was all bright. Finn and I could do anything and I swear if it weren't for that loss of one second- one crucial, precise second- it all would have been ours. The wisdom. The strength. The glory. Success. It all could have been ours if it weren't for a finger slip. Funny how you can lose everything just like that.

It was all so bright.

Then it went dark.