The Fellowship

Goneril followed Gandalf out of the Palace.

She watched the sky: the splendor of the stars, with the full moon in the middle, was amazing, but she was not impressed at all.  She felt sincere envy for those who were able to enjoy the beauty of the night. That sight only reminded her those many evenings spent sleeping on the porch of that small farm by the Blue Mountains. She preferred to sleep outside, sometimes, 'cause she feared that her so-called brother would sneak into her room with some not-so-fraternal intention.

Gandalf leaned against the wall that bordered the patrol path.
"I won't try to lie to you. You're too smart." the Wizard began. "A secret mission is underway, it's true. And unfortunately it's on the edge of the abyss."

"Go on." Goneril asked him.

At that point, the Istari told her all that had happened in the previous months, starting with the incredible finding of the One Ring, then his fight against the Balrog, and the recent meeting of six members of the Fellowship. The other two Hobbits, Frodo and Sam, were wandering somewhere.

Goneril couldn't believe it. At that point, she had really seen it all. The disappearence of the One Ring was the most ancient legend of Arda, a sort of myth. The Wizard explained that in the last few decades it had been hidden in a small drawer of a small cupboard in the house of another Hobbit. Frodo's uncle.

"Are you sure that ring is really that ring? You could have made a mistake." said Goneril.

"Yes, it is. It has passed the test of fire. I am not a fool, even if you believe it." replied Gandalf, vaguely resentful.

"And did you ... leave it in the hands of a young Hobbit and his gardener?" she asked. "Is this the unlimited wisdom of the Wizards?"

Gandalf looked at her badly. "Don't judge the actions of others. You have no right." He answered. "In truth, there were not many alternatives. We could not move an army to take it to Mount Fate. Sauron and his eye would have spotted us immediately. As I said, the mission had to be secret, as was this discovery. In this sense, two small, anonymous Hobbits have more chances of success than a legion like yours. Don't you think?"

Goneril did not seem convinced.  "Do you have any idea of what Mordor is? Have you been there recently? They won't be able to make their way through those swamps and that poisonous mud. And that place is full of Orcs. Not to mention the Nazgûls and their dragons. They fly over Mordor  looking for intruders and they  can see, you know? They can see very well. "  She said.  "You are deluded, those two little men have already fallen into their hands. They certainly got lost."

"No. They have a ... guide."  the old man added.

"Who?"  asked Goneril.

"Oh ... a being cursed and consumed by hatred, but who knows the territory of Mordor very well. He will have led them on paths unknown to the Orcs."  explained Gandalf.  "I pray that the creature will not turn against them."

Goneril shook her head.  "This ... this is madness. Those two are dead."

"If that was the case, Sauron would have his Ring now, and you and I would not be here to talk. This whole Earth would already be a pile of ash, and we would be slaves in chains. No, Frodo and Sam are still alive.  I just don't know how long they will resist. "  Gandalf murmured, with a sigh.  "Now, let's talk about you."

"What do you want from me?"  the woman snapped.  "I've followed you here. Now that's enough."

"As I told you before, Boromir of Gondor had joined the Fellowship, but he is gone. He was killed. Our friends lost a swordman, a warrior as brave as Aragorn. It would be perfect if you could ...  " Gandalf began.