New sun

"Roswehn hated her name. She had always hated it. She felt that it didn't belong to her at all. In Dalish, the language of humans in the realm of Dale, it means white rose. She always said to me: white roses represent purity, innocence,  and fragility. And I feel everything but pure, innocent and fragile. "  Nim explained, while her mother Morath adjusted the dress on the woman's corpse.

"Then we shouldn't have chosen this white dress for her."  said Morath.  "Maybe she wouldn't have liked it."

"She would have liked it ... because she knew the King will like it. She loved Lord Thranduil so much that she put aside much of her pride for him."  answered Nim.  "So many times I heard her apologize to the King after an argument ... and she wasn't always wrong."  The Elf girl put Roswehn's sandals on her feet. They were satin shoes, with two very light ribbons.

"We also used to talk about her regret at not having a daughter. A baby girl to love and spoil. One day, we spent more than an hour discussing the name she would have given her."  Nim continued.  She stopped and stared at the old woman's face.  "She said: if I had a girl, I would have taught her to face life with courage, with anger. And I would have given her a name that would convey energy, vigor. Then, she asked my opinion. I answered the first thing that came to mind: Nar. It is a short name, like Nim, and means fire." said the Elf, lost in her memories.  "... but Roswehn didn't like it. She had imagined something more elaborate, then I told her that -wehn could be added at the end, it means girl in elvish. It would have become girl of fire and it would have sounded like her name. For me, it was perfect:  Narwehn. But she still didn't like it. "

Morath touched the evenstar, the pendant that still shone on Roswehn's neck.  She was sure that the aura given off by that pendant made in Rivendell had allowed the woman's spirit to reach the other life.  The one in which the essences, or souls, of the Elves took refuge after the physical end.

"... she said: it would have been nice to give my daughter a name that would also evoke a new life, a new beginning, something unique, that the world has never seen. Can you understand me, Nim?  Then I got the idea."  the young Elf continued.

"That is?"  Morath wanted to know.

"... I replied: new in elvish is "wain." So ... what do you think of Narwain? It would mean "new fire" or even "new sun."  She was thrilled! She liked it very much, it would have been perfect for her daughter. You know ... Mom ... I think I'll call my child that ... Narwain."

"It's very beautiful. And it's admirable that you want to pay homage to your friend in this way. She would be proud" commented Morath.  "I wish Hazel came back soon. I know how worried you are."

"He did not have the strength to say goodbye to me. He would not have been able to hold my gaze. To go to war against the Orcs ... in all these years we have never experienced invasions of enemies."  complained Nim.  "I trust him, I know his value. But I can't help thinking about what can happen if ..."

"... don't get lost in such fears. Roswehn's life is an example: she was pregnant when she left Greenwood to return to Dale, she crossed the Misty Mountains, she went to the Hobbits Shire, and then went as far as Rivendell. Alone."  Morath told her.  "This human has truly lived her days to the fullest."

"She has always found the strength to overcome obstacles. But ... I fear for the King. Do you think he will be able to stifle this new sorrow?"  asked Nim.  "His heart has already been tested ... the death of King Oropher, of Queen Calenduin ... the departure of Legolas ... and now, the death of Roswehn."

"In truth, the death of the human will be the least oppressive of all his sorrows. Because he was already prepared for her death, I told you. I was here when the King returned from Angmar, after that war that killed Calenduin. And his gaze, when I saw him, was terrified, lost. He was no longer our brave Lord, afterwards. His wife had been stolen from him, like a flower torn from the ground. He was not ready to say farewell to her. But Roswehn ...  is another story. "  explained Morath.