Chapter 37

Dr Jonathan Crane smiled at his anxious patient. Anxiety was fear after all. This man could easily control his fears. Yet here he was, asking to be medicated, sedated and seduced by depressant drugs.

"I'm afraid you don't qualify for the drugs you want, Andrew," He spoke with a smile, feigning sympathy just for the man in front of him. They were in a therapy room on the ground floor. Similar to hospital doctors, psychiatrists in large facilities had to take a few hours of out-patients every two weeks.

"That being said," Dr Crane continued, "you could take part in a new drug trails study for free, it researches curing anxieties and phobias,"

"I'll do it," he almost shrieked, "please,"

"Of course, I'll place you on the list immediately," the smile stayed. He began writing out on his clipboard; 'Andrew Dale – voluntary test subject'.

"When are you available for the trials?"
"Anytime, right now, how fast does it work?"
"That's what we like to hear Mr Dale!" Dr Crane cheered, ignoring the question. "We'll be able to see you this evening after main office closing hours, 8pm sharp, no delays, no cellphone or equipment required,"
"Can I bring my toothbrush?"
"We will provide you with your... sanitation needs," The doctor blinked at his phrasing.

"Thank you, thank you, Doctor Crane," He left the room immediately.

"Oh, don't thank me yet Andrew," Jonathan muttered after him.

After a minute of silence in an small elevator of five people squashed together, Jonathan headed back to his office. He'd brought two vials of his toxin to work with him, hoping for the opportunity to find a control test subject, an anxious text subject and a sociopathic test subject so he could compare the toxin's effectiveness on brain types.

He opened the door to his office and immediately wrinkled his nose at the smell.
"the olives and cheap hummus smell like dirt but it tastes amazing," Daria said as if reading his mind. She was sat sideways, with her legs over the arm of his chair, eating a salad from the cafeteria. On his desk was a similar takeaway box of salad.

"You're supposed to be on shift," Jonathan went over to plant a quick kiss on Daria's cheek.

"I'm seeing a patient right now," She looked at him while she said it, flashing a quick smirk. "How are you feeling today Jonathan? What are you feeling?"

"Like everything's coming together," He beamed, "We have a test to run this evening,"
"I can't imagine being in this building for more than sixteen hours," Daria sighed, "but okay."
Today, she wore her wavy chestnut hair in a ponytail, with loose shorter strands framing her face. Her black suit pants clung tightly to her waist and held in a silky dark green blouse.

"I like you in my chair," He told her.
"Good, maybe I should stay here for longer,"
"The group therapy sessions start at 2pm so you can only stay as long as forty minutes," Jonathan reminded her, looking at his clock on the wall and then cleaning his glasses with his shirt so he could double check the time.

When he put them back on, he noticed that Daria was no longer in the chair. He shivered when he felt lips against his neck, "that gives us enough time doesn't it?"