16. NEW WORLD

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
[NEW WORLD]

Molly trudged her tired self through the woods as Kai led the way to the cave

Molly trudged her tired self through the woods as Kai led the way to the cave. The dry leaves crunched under each step she took and the only sound beside that was the trees blowing around her.

Kai was being notably more quiet than usual. He was even being quiet at the 'grand' breakfast he made this morning for their final meal together.

"What are you thinking about?" Molly says, stepping over a log after Kai.

Kai shrugged. "I don't know." He spoke. "You could've easily gotten out of her without me. But you didn't."

Molly was shocked that he didn't have some snarky response. "Everyone deserves a second chance." She responds, squinting at the sunlight to look up at him, even though his back was to her.

"Well I hope you're not expecting much." Kai sighs, readjusting the straps of his backpack on his shoulder.

Molly tried not to process his response too much, and continued on the conversation. "What if I did leave here without you? I mean... you gave me everything I needed to get out."

"I knew you wouldn't." Kai responds.

"Yeah, but what if I did?"

"I knew you wouldn't." He repeats. "I know you a lot better than you think I do."

"Then what was the point of all that in the first place?" Molly asked.

"Got bored." He shrugged. "What will you do when you get back?"

Molly scoffed. "Who knows." She responds. "I really just want to watch all of the Sherlock episodes I've missed." She laughed. "But I am excited to see everyone, though." Molly shrugs. She was about to ask what he would do, but she decided she better not.

Molly then realized it'd been seven months since she'd gone through a full moon. She did not miss that. And was now subconsciously dreading having to go back somewhere where she'd have to deal with that again.

"You know you can stay in Mystic Falls." Molly says after a deep breath. Kai glanced behind him at her, then turned back to keep walking. 

"I don't think your friends would be too fond of that." He says.

Molly bit the inside of her cheek as she thought. "I'll talk to them." She nodded.

She wanted him to be better. So bad.

As selfish as it was, she wanted him to change so she wouldn't have to hate herself for not hating him.