To Dans embarrassment

I decided that I needed somewhere to stay, so I would pay whatever I had to, to stay the night in possibly the poshest hotel in London.

"Yes please, I'd like a room?" I said politely.

"Ok, that will be..." the receptionist tapped a few keys in the keyboard in front of her. "£150 not including breakfast."

Slightly overpriced maybe, but I was willing to pay. I searched my wallet for my money and realised I'd left it all at home.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath.

"Is everything ok sir?" she asked me and I looked at her and blushed.

"Yes everything's fine. I'll just check my luggage for my cash," I told her, even though I knew that my money wouldn't be there. It was always kept in my wallet no matte what.

I unzipped my bag and began searching though my clothes or money and found nothing.

"Erm, well this is embarrassing, I seem to have lost my money," I explained. "I'll just leave. Sorry for wasting your time." Then I turned to leave the hotel, head held in shame.

"Wait!" I heard the receptionist call from the desk and I turned back around to face her. "Come here."

"I don't have any money at all. Not even my credit cards," I told her when I was good facing her at the reception desk again.

"I'll pay for you. You seem like you need someone to stay and London isn't too nice around these parts at night," she told me and slid £150 into the cash register.

"Thankyou so, so, so much!" I thanked her and she handed my the key to my room.

"Just don't tell anyone ok?" she asked.

"Don't worry I won't. Thank you again!" I said as she gestured for me to go to my room and pointed out the staircase and the elevator.

I would have to invite her for a drink some time when I had money to thank her properly for being so kind! No one had ever been so nice to me.

Once I got to my room, I understood why it cost so much! The room was huge! It was furnished with a chandelier and a massive flat screen tv on the east-facing wall. Then the bathroom was huge too, equipped with a shower and a cast iron bath. Then the basin was almost as big as the bath itself!

I put my bag in a rack near the door and stripped to my boxers, ready for bed. I lay down on the bed and as soon as my head touched the feather pillow, I fell asleep.

I dreamt that I was stuck and around me was nothing but blackness. I called out for Phil, Amanda, Courtney and Becca, but no one was there. Then I realised that I was falling through a bottomless pit of darkness and there was no one to save me or stop me from falling. I kept screaming, but no one came. I was all alone.

I woke up drenched in my sweat, the pillow had been thrown across the room and I was holding the duvet to my chin. Outside, it was light and when I managed to get my phone with my sweaty hand, it was 1pm! I'd slept almost the entire day!

There was no time to lose! I quickly made the bed neat again and got showered. My hobbit hair looked horrendous, so I neatened it up, but I didn't have any straighteners or gel, so it still looked slightly curly. Honestly though, I couldn't have cared less. I needed to go get the receptionists number before I either forgot, or she left!

After I'd changed my clothes and stuffed the dirty ones into my bag, I grabbed the key to my room and hurried to the reception. There she was, talking to guy and his family, wanting to rent rooms. Suddenly, I couldn't talk to her. Everything I thought of as a conversation starter sounded stupid. I sounded desperate and lame!

I reached the desk and left my key in front of her and started to leave the building, unable to speak to her.

"Hey!" she said and I turned around to look at her. "You want to go for a coffee sometime?"

Was this real? She was asking me out for a coffee? Was it a date- no don't flatter yourself Dan! Of course she doesn't like you that way!

"Yeah sure. I'd like that." I smiled and returned back at the desk, so we could arrange a time and place.

"Hey Jake, can you take over here for a minute? I just need to talk to someone," she asked her co-worker who was mopping the tiled lobby.

"Sure, beats doing this!" he said and nodded at me, smiling.

"So, what's your name? I never asked last night, you looked tired," she laughed as we both sat on the couch.

"I'm Dan. I see you're called Katie?"

"How did you guess?" she laughed as she looked down at her name badge pinned onto her blouse.

"Oh I don't know. Must be psychic!" I laughed. I felt so comfortable around her. It was like I'd known her for ages!