Nine days: part 1

When Nine went into the audition that morning for a role in the upcoming 2 Moons re-make he had few expectations. He was a little nervous about having to act romantically with a guy for one thing. He was straight, but a job was a job, right? He was auditioning for Wayo, but it didn't seem to click. 

Then he was called back to the room to audition for Kit as well, and he was told he would audition with three guys. As the first two auditions went by, Nine was feeling more and more downcast. Nine wasn't feeling it, and he could see that the producers weren't impressed either.

The last guy walked into the room, but Nine was looking at his toes, wondering whether his acting career would end before it even began.

"Hey, I'm Joong."

Nine lifted his eyes and saw the most incredible pair of huge brown eyes looking at him with nervousness and interest. It was like Nine fell into a sun-warmed lake; he was weightless and all the sound was sucked from the world. 

Then Joong smiled. And just like that, Nine was no longer straight.

Afterward Nine remembered almost nothing from his audition with Joong, only the excited whispering from the producers. The call he got a few days later was almost an anti-climax. He had been cast as Kit with Joong as Ming. It was meant to be.

Two months later, they were all deep into their acting workshop in preparation for the shoot, and Nine was in despair. He knew two things beyond any doubt.

The first was that Nine was head over heels in love with Joong. 

And the second was that Joong was straight.

***

One morning, about a month into their shoot, Joong woke up feeling so warm and comfortable, he just let himself float, in that lovely half-awake stage when your mind runs free and your body rests. When he woke up more, he slowly realised Nine was hugging him, his leg flung over Joong's, Nine's face pressed into his neck, his arm loosely around Joong.

"Shia!" Joong exclaimed, but softly, not quite daring to wake Nine. Not when they were like this! 

Joong tried to slither from under Nine, but Nine made a cute snuffling noise and snuggled closer. Joong tried again, but Nine made a whiny little sound and Joong found that he didn't have a heart to wake him. Nine was having an exam that day, he needed sleep, Joong reasoned and let himself relax. Besides, it felt rather nice, he thought as he drifted to sleep.

As Joong's breathing evened out, and his pulse slowed, Nine's lips curved into a small secret smile, and then he fell back asleep, too.

The next time when the topic came up of Joong staying at Nine's place, Joong made excuses.

"Oh, of course, if you don't want to," Nine said softly, and focused on the smartphone in his hand.

Joong couldn't stand Nine's sad face, and agreed. Besides, it was just that one time, that night, it won't happen again. Right?

But next morning Joong woke up in Nine's embrace again. His panic lasted a little shorter this time, and a little shorter again when the same happened the next two nights they shared a bed, until one morning...

Joong woke feeling disoriented and uncomfortable. What was wrong? 

He could hear Nine's soft snores beside him and turned to look. Nine was sleeping with his back to Joong, and Joong felt an inexplicable loss. Nine lay on his side on his side of the bed, which wasn't saying much as the bed wasn't very wide. Then Nine turned on his back, his arm flung over his face, fast asleep. His side touched Joong's stomach, and Joong exhaled. He felt so warm! Little by little, Joong felt himself lean toward Nine, until he let his head fall on Nine's shoulder and hug him from the side. He fell asleep in minutes.