INTRO.

King Amastan of the Kalari kingdom had reigned seventy years and finally died at the more than ripe age of ninety-three. During Amastan's reign, the land had been wonderful and prosperous. They had submitted to the Songhai Empire after six years of brutal war to keep the empire out. The clauses of Kalari's submission dictated that while to the kingdom becomes a vassal to the Songhai Empire, the people would retain their traditional religion and belief. Had they been conquered, the Islamic way would have been imposed on them.

King Amastan had only three children in his lifetime, Prince Gwafa, his first child and heir; Princess Lunja, his second and Prince Aksil, his last. Gwafa was a proud and strong man. He grew up well and made his father proud in all ways, though disagreeing with him on one thing. Now, Kalari, like many other kingdoms and tribes viewed certain things in a certain light. Among these things was the fact that children born with looks, or features counter to the norm, were considered evil and put to death at birth. Children born with any deformities of any kind came under this category. Even albinos were categorized as evil. Amastan abolished this act the instant he took power and he felt lucky he did so as his precious daughter, Lunja was born an albino.

While Amastan lived, these deformed children flourished and grew, but now he was dead, his wife was old and Gwafa was king now. This new king was certainly going to change some things and first on his list was the reestablishment of the old law; The Wajefa Law........

"ALLCHILDREN BORN WITH DEFECT, OR DEFOMRITY WERE EVIL AND HAD TO BE PUT TO DEATHIMMEDIATELY."