▹ 06. WEEK

INTRODUCING ...
CHOI EUNYEON.

       USUALLY, parties are Choi Eunyeon's scene

USUALLY, parties are Choi Eunyeon's scene. But the longer she stays at this party, the more bored she becomes. She definitely does not have enough alcohol in her system to be enjoying this, but she's decided to keep her alcohol intake to a minimum for the night, because she really doesn't feel like waking up hungover in the morning – she doesn't want to hear the lecture about responsible drinking from her best friend again.

Usually, Eunyeon enjoys parties, but this one is definitely not up to her standards, which, admittedly, are actually quite low. The host of this party clearly doesn't know what they're doing, because there's people everywhere, and from her spot in the corner of the living room, she can already see two smashed vases, and three photo frames with cracks running through the glass. Whoever held this party must be regretting it now.

The alcohol is cheap and tastes horrible, but at this point her cup has been topped up so many times Eunyeon doesn't even know what she's drinking anymore. The music playing is some of the worst Eunyeon has ever listened to (which isn't really saying much, since Eunyeon has a very peculiar taste in music and most party songs aren't to her liking), she can feel it more than she can actually hear it, the bass turned up so loud that the entire house is vibrating.

Honestly, Eunyeon almost considers just ditching all together and going home, even though it isn't that late yet. But then she remembers that Friday night is date night, and her dad and her stepmother are probably cuddled up on the couch spending quality time together watching some animal documentary. Eunyeon doesn't understand what's so romantic about watching Blue Planet, but she'd rather not watch them be all lovey dovey with each other.

Besides, Eunyeon failed to mention to her father that she was going to a party, and she doesn't want to risk the lecture she knows she'll receive if he's still awake when she comes stumbling home, not quite drunk, but obviously tipsy. She's so close to being legal that she doesn't see the big deal, but it's an argument that never gets very far with her father.

So Eunyeon turns her focus back to the disaster happening before her, swishing the liquid in her cup as she stares at the drunk game of Twister happening on the living room floor. There's someone else in the corner filming the spectacle, and Eunyeon thinks that there will be a group of really embarrassed teenagers when the video ultimately starts making its way around social media.

Eunyeon likes to sit there and watch other people make a fool out of themselves, running head first into drunk decisions that they'll no doubt regret when they wake up sober. It's amusing to see, really. Especially since Eunyeon has worked up her alcohol tolerance, and it takes more than people think to actually get her drunk. She's definitely not the lightweight drinker everyone thinks she is.

There's a loud cheer that comes from the hallway, and Eunyeon glances up briefly before losing interest. She can't really see what's going on over everyone else's heads, but if she had to take a guess, she'd assume someone popular just turned up. She finishes the last of her drink before she stands up – albeit wobbly, but she insists it was because her foot fell asleep, and not because of the alcohol – and goes to find the nearest bin.

       She stumbles through the house, trying to avoid the large groups of people that just seem to be everywhere. In Eunyeon's opinion, this house is a bit small for a party, and she barely has enough room to push past people. When she finally makes it to the kitchen, she's glad, if not still slightly claustrophobic. There's still people milling around, most of them helping themselves to handfuls of potato chips, but at least she has enough room to breathe without having to stand on top of someone else.

Eunyeon dumps her plastic cup into the rubbish bin that she finds under the sink through trial and error, after she opens every single other cupboard in the kitchen trying to find it. She's just pouring herself some water from the tap (into a new cup that doesn't have any alcoholic residue left) when she notices a boy watching her from the corner of her eye.

       Eunyeon has no idea who this boy is. He's dressed in dark clothing, leather jacket adorning is shoulders, and ripped skinny jeans on his legs. There's a band logo on his shirt – something with a three in it – that Eunyeon doesn't recognise, but she's not too concerned about it. He's not very tall, but he's reasonly built, as if he's been bulking up to compensate for his height.

       She can't place a name to his face, but Eunyeon figures she's probably seen him around at another party. Not that she often remembers the people she meets at these sorts of events, because she never really meets anyone worth remembering, and faces tend to blur together in Eunyeon's mind until they're nothing but a distant memory. If she had to take a guess, though, she'd assume he was a private school kid.

       No one sends their children to Gangnam's public school, especially not if they have enough money to pay for private tuition. And judging by this boy's choice of fashion – namely his belt and his shoes – Eunyeon assumes this boy is rolling in money. She's only ever seen the stuck up boys from the Gangnam Institute wearing clothes with fancy brand names plastered across them, and no one spends ridiculous amounts of money on fashion if they don't have millions to spare. Eunyeon should know, because her she's seen her stepmother come home with atrocious clothes before with more zeros on the price tag than Eunyeon thinks they should be worth.

"You're one of them," Eunyeon spits before she can stop herself, her eye narrowing as she stares at the boy in front of her.

"One of who?" the boy quips, his eyebrow raised in amusement as he stares at Eunyeon, who, despite her best efforts to claim otherwise, is definitely more intoxicated than him.

"Them," Eunyeon repeats, because in her mildly intoxicated state, she cannot come up with a better explanation. Fortunately, she doesn't have to, because there's a loud squeal from the living room and the distinct sound of glass shattering – both sounds that are very common at house parties like this. The boy in front of Eunyeon curses, standing on his toes to try and see over the heads of the other guests, looking for the source of the commotion.

       Eunyeon can't tell what it is he's looking at, but he rolls his eyes affectionately in the direction of the living room, before turning back to Eunyeon. "See you around," is all the boy says, shrugging before he disappears into the mass of people in the living room. Eunyeon only scowls, and hopes she doesn't come across him, or any of his pesky school mates, every again.

.

WEEK / seo changbin.
mojongin
[ AUGUST 29, 2019 ]