4: Cat Naps and Uninvited Guests

"The rebellious God," she repeated slowly as Kyo gave her an unreadable look, "I have heard of it then. It's in one of the oldest scrolls I have, explaining the history to come of the Sohma family."

Himiko bent down, beginning to pick up shards of porcelain, Kyo doing the same.

"It's a damaged scroll that I found was ripped in half. It pissed me off because everything in the beginning has already happened but it's last words were 'The Rebellious God will,' and then it cut off," Himiko explained and Kyo paused from picking up china to stare.

"Repeat what it said, only in Japanese this time."

She scooped the porcelain into her hands and tossed it in the bin, the pieces clanging together as they dropped, "The Rebellious God will. I suppose what you said earlier is the continuation of the scroll."

Kyo nodded, putting the rest of the porcelain into the bin, "I would bring the scroll for you to keep but it's currently in a protective glass case being watched over by Akito. I tried to get a first look at it but no one is allowed to look at it. Shigure says that he's enraged and his behaviour is sporadic because of it."

"Good," her voice took a dark turn and her eyes narrowed, "let her suffer over it."

Kyo looked on in confusion, standing up from off of the floor, "her?"

Himiko's lips twitched upwards in a dangerous smirk, "oh, I'm sorry," she covered her mouth and mocked surprise, "you didn't know that? Forget I said anything."

The zodiac cat pulled Himiko to her feet, giving her curious side-glances as he began to clean the dishes once again, "you know, when you're comfortable around people and don't have walls up you're really petty and scarier than when you're deathly silent. I pity the people that pick fights with you. You'll tear them apart."

Himiko grinned, her dark eyes sparkling with mirth. She grabbed the dishes he washed and placed them in the drying rack, while also cleaning up the sink area. Kyo finished the dishes and flicked the excess water across Himiko's face, his face lighting up in a mischievous laugh.

"I don't understand how I put up with you when I was younger. I mean yeah, you're obviously worse now, but sill," she rolled her eyes and opened the fridge door, rummaging through it before grabbing the box of refrigerated mochi off of the top shelf.

She shut the door with her heel, her attention on opening the package. Kyo watched on with a hard stare, his eyes following her every movement.

"Kyo," she ripped open the package with ease after struggling, "for fuck's sake go into the other room and quit begging for one with your eyes. You're going to get one anyway, now go away."

She glanced upwards to see Kyo huff and leave the kitchen, taking a seat at the table.

Himiko followed, instead going to sit on the outside porch. She pressed her back against a wooden pillar and bit halfway through a peach mochi while moving into a comfortable position near the edge of the wooden flooring. Kyo stared with envy.

"My god," her temper flared and she tossed a ball of mochi at Kyo with roaring strength, the squishy treat hitting him square in the forehead. He glared but ate the treat anyway, unbothered.

"You know I hate it when the members of the zodiac stare at me. I can literally feel you all burning holes into my body with your eyes."

He got up from the table and sat on the porch by her feet. His legs dangled over the edge of the porch. "What else do you feel, because I know it's not just the staring that is bothering you."

Himiko ate silently, the wind giving a cool breeze and bringing in the wafting scent of incense from the nearby mini shrine. She breathed in deeply and exhaled, her fingers tracing the deep pockets of her cargo pants.