1-2-3-4-5

HALE

The next morning I wake up at 6:30, when my alarm goes off. I don't start work until 11:30, half an hour before the pool actually opens, but I've got a couple things to accomplish before I go.

I pull myself out of bed and begin searching through my drawers for my swim suit. Last week I watched Marie Kondo's TV series on Netflix and had organized my room so it would be up to her standards, so it doesn't take long for me to find. I deftly fold it into my backpack and find some runners, shorts, and a tank top to bring too. One of the indoor pools I usually work at over the school year has a pool and a gym and all employees get free passes.

It's not long before I'm pedalling over to the pool. The sound of my tires whizzing on the sidewalk as I ride soothes me, and I try not to close my eyes. It's so calm and serene. It's hard not to be when you have nothing to worry about. Last night, I apologized to Matthew. He was pretty understanding, but he didn't know that I was just doing it to get him out of my hair. Safety is important and he completely disregarded that. Any which way, he's out my hair for the rest of the summer.

Once I've arrived and locked up my bike, I make my way up the stairs, the air conditioned building calling out to me as I go. It really is hot. Gulping in the fresh air as I enter, I scan my pass and begin rooting through my bag for my shoes, still standing in the front lobby. It seems smarter to start in the gym section of the facility before heading into the water and cooling down. Obviously I'll shower off first. I can't imagine the disgusting germs I would get in the water if I didn't. 

****

Twenty minutes later, I step out from the showers, swim cap and goggles in hand, ready to dive into the cool water. After struggling to put on my swim cap for a few minutes, I'm actually ready to jump in. I try to ignore the squeeze I feel in my stomach, knowing my co-workers just saw me act stupid, trying to put the cap on. How come I've got to have such a difficult time accomplishing such menial tasks?

Grimacing a little, I jump in and begin swimming my lengths. I need to be able to do at least 16 lengths to stay in shape and be capable for work, but I know I can do more than that. The more the better, right? 

I try not to let my mind wander to other things, so I can focus on having optimal technique and swimming as efficiently as possible. Plus, this is my one part of the day where I can relax a little bit and think about absolutely nothing. I read that having some time where you aren't worrying is good for your mental health. I find it insanely difficult to do. 

****

Once I've finished my workout, showered, and completely dried off, I take a moment to check my phone. As soon as I see the amount of missed calls and text messages I recognize that something has gone wrong. 

"Hey, Hale." Lauren's worried voice replies once I've called her back.

"What's wrong?"

"Trevor called me. He broke his wrist wrestling with his brother," Lauren explains.

My mind immediately races. Trevor is supposed to be working at Hillside every other day. Who can we get last minute to work eight hour shifts all summer? I start making a checklist in my head of every employee, what they're doing for the summer, and where they already may be working. If he has a full cast, he'll likely be in it for about 6 weeks. That's the entire summer! How are we ever going to fill that many shifts?

"Uh, Hale? Are you still there?"

Her words break my train of thought, "yes, sorry, I'm here. Isn't he supposed to be working every other day? How are we going to find a staff member to fill that?"

I hear an exasperated sigh on the other end of the phone, "you aren't even going to ask if he's okay? Filling in his shifts shouldn't be the first thing your mind goes to," she pauses, "He's our friend, Hale, have a little compassion. But, since you're so concerned, I'll ease your mind. I already found someone who willingly took his hours."

"Really? Who?"

"Honestly, Hale? You're pissing me off so much right now that I can't even be bothered to tell you. I guess you'll find out when you get to work. See you then."

She hangs up the phone, leaving me standing with a phone to my ear, my hair dripping onto the floor. The second shift of summer hasn't even started yet and I've already managed to make Lauren mad at me. As I place my phone back into my bag I take in a deep breath and let it out for five seconds.

1-2-3-4-5

Time to get ready to go. I don't have time to worry about personal things, I need to get to work. And I cannot be distracted today. One more breath in, five more seconds, and then I'll put all the drama out of my mind completely.

1-2-3-4-5