Ch. 2

Life is full of first's. 

Your first day of school, first time driving a car, first kiss, first date. I could go on for hours with the list of all the things you'll do in your life for the first time. It's a huge cycle. And as scary as all those things are, after that first time it'll be easier. 

That's what my Mom always tells me. I remember my first day of college, I called her crying at 8am because I was so scared that I wouldn't do well. That I would never live up to this potential that I built for myself. That I would never be as good of a Lawyer as she was. 

But, the truth was. I ended up finishing my first year with almost all A's. Those nerves that I almost let destroy me, were pretty much for nothing. I learned a lot that year, with all the firsts I had. 

So today, my first day of a new job. 

"Babygirl, you'll do fine. You always do, I don't know why you are stressing so much." My Mom spoke. 

Even on facetime, I could tell she was sat in her favorite room in the house. If it where a typical day, she'd be at work. But this year has been anything but ordinary. She was diagnosed with breast cancer back in January. 

Her life got flipped upside down after that. From being a successful Attorney and manning the family practice with my Dad. She became to used to being bound in hospital beds and treatment centers. 

"I know Momma, but what if-" 

"Don't do that Leah. I tell you everytime. You'll do great, I promise baby. I gotta get going hun- Grace just walked in. And you know how she is if I don't take my medicine." She grins, and blew a kiss at the screen. "Bye lovebug." 

"Bye, I love you." 

Grace, who has been a godsend to our family. Is one of her dear friends, and nurses. Who helps make sure my Mom is alright when my Dad is at work. She's more ontop of my Mom's meds than she is. And does an amazing job of looking after her. 

"Leah!" I heard from the other room. 

I opened my bedroom door to see Anna, with her red mop of hair in a bun, bouncing all over the place. "What's up?" I asked, taking a seat at the breakfast nook. 

"Good luck at work today, and try not to bum yourself out too much. I know your nerdy ass would rather be in the library or something." She laughs

"Hey! Not true!" I protest. 

"Uh-girlfriend. Yes it is! And you know it. Please, enjoy not being stressed out all the time. I wish I could do that. But Med-school ain't waiting for me." 

She's on a fast track to get into Medical school early. And as much as she's making jokes about it, she's just as dedicated as I am. She's just 'too cool' to admit it. 

"Alright, get to class please. Orgo needs you." I shook my head, handing her the waiting take away coffee mug. 

"Ugh-fine. I love you, see you later." She snorts. 

"Bye!" I wave. 

The car ride to work was shorter than expected, so I got to sit in the parking lot to compose my thoughts. Instead of getting worked up again, I cracked open one of the books on my summer reading list. 

Everyone says I'm lame for making it myself. 

Which is probably true, but I just want to be prepared next fall. My classes are going to be significantly harder, especially with all the studying I'm going to be doing over the next two years to prepare for the LSATS. I've had my heart set on Harvard Law since I remember bouncing around the practice when I was a kid. I'd be the first in my family to make it into an Ivy League school.