this can't be real

eleanor
we start walking down the road, billie still laughing.

'so, what's the bird story?' billie says.

'i am absolutely not telling you,' i reply.

'aw, really?' she says. i raise my eyebrows.

'did you not see how fast we left?' i say, 'you're gonna have to work a lot harder to get that story.'

she takes my hand and runs her thumb across the back of it.

'fine,' she says.

we walk mostly in silence, broken up by billie asking for the story and me saying no.

'spoilsport,' she says, after i say no for what feels like the hundredth time. she pouts at me cutely.

'pleeeeeeeeease?' she says, the tone of her voice whiny. i roll my eyes.

'ugh, fine,' i sigh.

'wow, that didn't even take that much persuading,' she says happily.

'yeah, don't push it though,' i say.

'okay, when i was about six, me and my family went to this place up north called birdland because i was obsessed with peacocks,' i'm interrupting by billie's laughing.

'i haven't even told the story yet!'

'i know, i'm just imagining you being obsessed with peacocks,' she giggles.

'peacocks are cool, man! anyway, the place was awesome, there were lots of peacocks. but my sister wanted to go see some other bird in a cage. she looked like she was having fun so i went up to it. as soon as i went near it, that thing almost pecked me in the face and started honking at me,' i ignore the laughter, 'i hated it so much that i started crying and clinging onto my mum because i didn't want to get killed by the bird. i cried the whole two hour drive home. you happy?'

i look over to see billie laughing her head off. i roll my eyes and keep on walking, waiting for her to calm down.

'you...you-' she starts, interrupting herself with more giggles. eventually she stops laughing and forms coherent sentences.

'you started crying because a bird pecked at you?'

'in my defense, it was a big bird and i was very young.'

'oh my god,' she says, wiping her eyes,
'you were such a wuss.'

'oh, fuck off!' i elbow her swiftly and run away before she can get me back.

an: yes that story is true but it happened to my sister 🦚 it's not even that funny lol but it's the best i got
early update today but maybe i'll update later too? we'll see :)