ᵒ³. ʳᵒˡˡᵉʳ⁻ˢᵏᵃᵗᵉˢ ᵃⁿᵈ ˡᵃᵗᵉ⁻ⁿⁱᵍʰᵗ ᵇⁱᵏᵉ ʳⁱᵈᵉˢ.

⋄∘-''⋄∘. .·∘⋄∘ .·**⋄ ';
.:·∘⋄;*, CHAPTER THREE: ROLLER-SKATES AND LATE-NIGHT BIKE RIDES .·'*⋄ ''
;' ⋄**·. ∘⋄∘·, . ∘⋄''-∘⋄

"STOP HARRASSING STEVE," commented Rain, trying to pull Robin's arms away from where she was attempting to put another strike on the board. "He's trying his best. He has enough problems with his hair being oppressed by that hat."

          Harrington pointed at her, "You know what, Simmons? I take it back, you're not cool anymore."

          Crossing her arms over her chest, Rain raised a curved eyebrow in a perfectly aggravating, teasing kind of way. "Getting brave, Harrington," Rain shot back, tossing her head of pretty curls, and pointed a finger right back at him. "Watch out, you might lose your flirting tips." A smirk pulled across her face as she gave him a shit-eating grin and shoved a cherry lollypop between her lips. He groaned in annoyance, and she just shot her eyebrows up again at him. There was a knock from the back room which indicated new stock, and Steve just rolled his eyes and went to collect it.

          Rain gave herself a triumphant grin, while Robin peeled away from where she'd been serving some customers. The shorter girl hopped onto the serving counter, smoothing down her sailor's shorts—and Robin followed suit. Since the area between the prices menu and the ice-cream case was a small space, they were pressed side-to-side, and it was impossible not to feel even the other's breaths.

          "Don't start being a dingus like Steve," pleaded Robin, pushing both sides of her hair behind her ears as she leant on Rain's shoulder and peered at Rain with her blue eyes. Her hair looked nice like that, Rain noticed.

          "Excuse me?" Rain replied in shock, "I am nowhere on Steve's level. I'll have you know I graduated at the top of my class." The red lollypop was enclosed around her glossy lips as she squinted judgementally at Robin. "And I do take pride in that, thank you very much, because it's about the only thing I'm good at."

          A teasing smile formed on Robin's face, "Oh, please, you were good at everything. The perfect Hawkins girl."

          "Oh?" asked Rain, blinking. She couldn't stop staring at the pretty, angelic curves of Robin's face—the gentle roundness of her lips; the patterns of freckles dotted all along her face, across her pretty nose and high, sloping cheekbones; her vibrant blue eyes which shimmered whenever she laughed at something Rain said—and realised that was exactly why she wasn't the perfect Hawkins girl, and realised how messed up she was. Rain pulled her gaze away from Robin's features, trying to stare at her own nail polish instead. It was foul and wrong of her to think of Robin in that way, especially when that's what Robin thought of Rain: some perfect girl that everyone in Hawkins wanted to be. Noticing her immediate change in attitude, Robin opened her mouth to ask what was wrong.