įµ’āø. įµ’Ė”įµˆā»į¶ įµƒĖ¢Ź°ā±įµ’āæįµ‰įµˆ įµįµ’įµ›ā±įµ‰ āæā±įµŹ°įµ—.

༉˚*ೃ ᵒ⁸. 𝐎𝐋𝐃-𝐅𝐀𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓!

𝐒𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘'𝐃 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄 it, they'd cracked the code. Rain should have felt invincible. She should've felt like she could've taken on the world—she and Robin together—and maybe part of her did, that little happy part, tucked away in her chest, but somehow, she just felt worse too. Because now the day was over. And that meant returning home.

          The thought of returning home was daunting. So much, that it was making Rain feel sick to her stomach. If she moved too fast, she might throw up. Rainbow rarely bit her nails—she loved painting them pretty colours too much to damage them—but she did now, out of pure nerves. Starcourt and Robin and Steve and this Russian investigation... it was all safe. She didn't feel the same way about her own house anymore.

          She chewed her lip just thinking about it. Even as she leant back against the wall—her shoulder-blades tucked against concrete—and Robin pulled down the steel garage-like door, worry twisted at Rain's stomach. She was going to be sick, she was sure of it.

          Just as Robin straightened up, dusted off her hands—Steve had already left early, had to run that weird Dustin kid back home—Rain's head tilted towards her. "Hey, Robs, can I stay at your place tonight?" asked Rain in a gentle voice. Her eyes were cast towards the floor, lips pursed in what appeared to be shame. The taller girl turned around, concern drawn across her face and her eyebrows pulled inwards. Before she could answer, Rain continued. "I just— I just don't really want to go home." Her arms were drawn tight around herself. For a second, she looked impossibly small, deceptively vulnerable.

          "Oh," said Robin—and, God, just looking at her was a mistake, because she was so very pretty and, yeah, Rain had it bad—"of course." Her black-chipped-nail fingers toyed with the chain necklaces strung around her throat. "It's no problem, Bow."

          Rain's heart relaxed, just a little. All that wound up tension—anxiety—wrapped up in her body seemed to... fade away. Now she was just tired. She felt a little like she would cry, but just gave Robs a small smile. "Thank you," she murmured softly. They were some of the last people in the mall, apart from a couple other of store employees closing up shop.

          Maybe, if Rain hadn't been in such a predicament, Robin would have said no. Like she did just the other day. Maybe she didn't really want Rainbow to come over at all. And now she was overthinking it. Robin seemed to realise what she was thinking—Rain's face must have conveyed it all—and she was quick to step in. "Seriously," assured Robin. The look of concern on her freckled face made Rain's heart twinge painfully. "Don't worry about it, Princess." And, oh God, there was that nickname again. Pull it together, Rain.

You've reached the end of published parts.

ā° Last updated: Oct 20, 2020 ā°

Add this story to your Library to get notified about new parts!