Chapter 3

There are no windows in my cell and even if there were I wouldn't be able to see outside. The windows that are only on the walls to the hall that passes between the cells, lets the only natural light in. I watch as that light fades to know when it's dark out.

I reach my arms through the bars of the door and I'm able to swipe the key card through the lock. I hear an electronic click, that is gold to my ears as I swing the door slowly open.

I have to stay focused as I march through the hallway full of "crazies" locked in the other cells. They shout, scream and curse at me. They are all seventeen like me, but these girls look different. Not in appearance; brown eyed and haired, but in the expression in their eyes. It's... wrong. Some shout to point me out to the guards so that they will lock me back up, and I quickly give up in shushing them. Others beg me to take them with me. I have no intention on freeing anyone.

As selfish as it sounds these girls are here for the protection of the other girls, or so we're told. Long story short; I'm not running away like they would want. I'm just taking the night off. I'll be back before morning and if they haven't stopped me after the comotion I've just caused. Then as long as I get back before dawn they'll never know because there are no security cameras on this floor. There is a rumor that it's because the residents of floor eleven are experimented on.

I allow myself to get absorbed in my questions. I let it drive me as I brave my escape. I quickly and quietly sneak out of the building.

I kept to the shadows, knowing that the cameras are motion activated and are rarely recording after dark because I have snuck out of my dorm many times over the years to get some personal time and can focus on my drawings. I only got in trouble when my roommates snitched on me. In Confine 15, Cora was in my dorm and I swear she stayed up for hours every night just to catch me up and out of bed.

I take my first breath as a free spirit as I step out of the confine. I feel a rush of adrenaline as I sprint to the base of the cement wall that encases the Frosjax Confine 17 schools. It's very out of character for me to be doing something this rebellious.

When I usually break the rules it's not to be rebellious. I do it because I can help but use my imagination. Creativity is discriminated. The reason as to why is beyond my comprehension. Instead it adds to my curiosity, which is also frowned upon.

I scan the buildings in the confine. The are over a dozen. I make a mental map to pinpoint which one is mine so that I return to the correct building. I want to wonder why there are so many. The only people I know all live in the same one. What is the significance of the other buildings?

No, now's not the time to let my mind get distracted as it floods with questions. I'll have plenty of time to think later, but I have limited time outside the wall.

I use the key card to open a small door in the fifty foot solid wall. I don't know what I'll find or what to expect outside these walls. All I know is that I have to go.

I turn to look at "my" confine one last time before I see... I don't know exactly; the unknown. I take a deep breath and close the door behind me. It's not until I hear it mechanically lock that I realize that I was holding my breath.