009. a leaf in the wind

THE AVATAR'S BIG SISTER .

── ☆ ☆ ☆ ──

"𝐀𝐋𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓, let's see what you got." Bolin stood beside two stacks of earth disks and motioned to Korra. She floated a disk into the air and then threw it at a net with a punch, immediately following it with a a second attack. "That was great! Good power! But in a real match, you'd be a sitting turtle duck."

Korra sighed dejectly as he approached besides her. "Here, let me show you." He took on a fighting stance, punching the air. "Remember, stand light on your toes, right up until the moment when you need to dig in and strike."

He quickly raised up two disks and immediately sent them flying toward the net, both hitting it in the same exact spot.

"You can do it, Korra!" I cheered happily as I watched from afar on a bench next to Mako, who looked like he clearly had better things to do.

"Okay, let me try again," she said, determination brightening her face before jumping on her feet, moving side to side, raising the two disks and throwing them at the net at the same speed as Bolin.

"Hm, not bad." Mako commented, though his tone sounded unimpressed. Korra scoffed and turned to Bolin with a scowl. "What does it take to impress this guy?!"

"What?" he asked her accusingly. "I said, "not bad."

"You know," I began, turning to him with a smirk. "When someone says, "Not bad", they mean it's fairly good. Passable, even. Barely impressed—"

"You know what? It's getting late." He quickly cutted me off, starting to stand up. I think I'm gonna turn in." He glanced at us, particularly me, with a pursed-lip smile. "You kids have fun."

I sent him the same smile he had, but wider. "Alright, old man. Don't forget to take out your dentures and soak them in water, okay? You elderly folks need a little reminder sometimes."

His eyes narrowed bitterly as he started to leave the gym. "See you upstairs, bro!" Bolin shouted after him.

"Upstairs?" I repeated, baffled. "You guys live. . .here?"

"Yup. In the attic," he replied casually. "It's nothin' fancy, but we do have some great views!"

He turned back around to Korra, clapping his hands together. "So, back to bending! Why don't you throw that combo one more time?"

☆          ☆         ☆