Chapter 1. The Raven

Bathed in the light of a half crested moon, the Raven sank back into the shadows and waited. Nightfall beyond the edge of the forest was lambent with the flicker of freshly lit lanterns. But darkness crept across the village, unheeding of the fragile glow that glimmered from each tiny flame. Soon, all would be drenched in night and the Raven would emerge.

He watched at a distance from his perch in a tree and remained there until well after sunset. He was waiting for his prey.

The Raven was not a creature who craved attention. Preferring the solitude and comfort of the dark, rarely did he ever find reason to grace the day with his presence. Today was no exception.

Easing away from the thick tangled branches of a gnarled old oak, he smiled as he caught sight of his quarry.

A tall, lean, middle-aged man, who stank of ale, stumbled onto the cobblestone lane and fumbled with the over-sized jewels which garnished his fingers. Rubies and emeralds shone with brilliance and seemed to take on a life of their own as he twisted and tugged at their settings.

Finding the situation irresistible, Raven left his post and drew near the object of his interest.

As the man sauntered down the streets and lanes of the village, Raven followed. In a more secluded alley of the large town, the Raven appeared as though he'd swooped down from the night itself. His game was taken off guard and all but dropped his broadsword as he tugged it from its sheath.

"You won't need that." Raven grinned wolfishly as the man took a fighter's stance.

"Do you know who I am?" He demanded.

"Of course, Sir Anslay." Raven traced a bow.

"Yes." The knight raised a brow as if the title itself would cause the creature to shrink away. "Champion of The Purification"- he prompted- "and general of the King's finest men." He finished when the stranger refused to comply.

"Very impressive I'm sure." Raven yawned and remembered he'd not yet enjoyed breakfast. "Look." He sighed and took a step forward. "I'm sure you'd take pleasure in boasting further about your accomplishments-" He paused. Spinning around Sir Anslay, Raven didn't bother to draw a blade before easing his body to the ground.

Within half a moment's time and even less of a struggle, the General lay dead on the moonstruck cobbles. His neck was twisted to an unnatural angle and shock widened eyes staring sightless at the heavens above.

With his job done, Raven saw no more need for stealth and opted instead for speed. The promise of food awaited him not far away. Turning from the cooling body of Sir Anslay, he set off to retrieve his pay.

Raven now walked without regard through the streets and smiled at passers-by. To them he was nothing more than another visitor traveling through. He need not fear being caught or recognized. He often frequented the taverns and inns in search of food and drink. But to locals, the Raven was nothing more than a paying customer who had an affinity for black clothing.

 But to locals, the Raven was nothing more than a paying customer who had an affinity for black clothing