Chapter 4. Fang

Fang prowled the halls of the guild. Dim torchlight glittered from stone walls revealing Hunters training, fighting, or whispering in the dark. He recognized many of the faces around him and grinned to himself, knowing how many of those minds he now owned. Raven would never be swayed— but that didn't matter— the man would serve his purpose.

Vesoth underestimated Fang's capabilities. His King saw him as little more than an innocent boy to be utilized. But his ambitions had led him here to a guild few even knew existed.

It had been easy really... Honest folk lived in a fragment of light and happiness. The cities and towns of Heartendale were safe. Those who spent their lives within the borders of Athik's unscathed empire knew little of the darkness that had been exiled from their kingdom so long ago. But there were those who knew where to look, those who clung to the shadows of the past. It was those men Fang had sought out and exploited. A few coins dropped, and a few names bought revealed a guild the poor and uneducated masses would never know existed. He was going to change all that.

"Oi!" Viper appeared in an empty corridor and gestured for his apprentice to enter. "What news do ya' bring me?"

"The treaty is signed." Fang ducked unnoticed into the hallway.

"Our master will be proud." Viper showed him to a room tucked away and forgotten.

"I must meet with the General. He'll carry word to our Lord King Vesoth." Fang closed a gilt laden door behind them and latched it. Light from a candelabrum haunted the chamber, casting a dim gloom across the red carpeted floor.

"The King cares less for Athik's armies than he does his personal affairs."

"And how do you know of our illustrious King's affairs?" Fang raised a brow.

"Locks are easily picked." Viper reached in deep pockets and revealed a hand full of notes.

"Those belong to me." Fang tried not to sound annoyed.

"Ye' were careless." Viper snarled. "I found them. I read them. And now they're mine."

"Yes, Master Viper." It didn't matter— the news was dated, useless. Viper thought himself clever and full of devices, but he was old, his mind soft. "What have you learned?"

"Why do ya' ask what ya' already know?" He eased his body onto a plush velvet divan.

"There is wisdom in a multitude of counselors."

"True..." Viper chuckled at the pious thought. "Your King is—"

"Our King," Fang reminded him. "Vesoth doesn't pay servants who don't serve."

"Our King." Viper caressed a diamond ring set in gold.

Fang had given him the trinket and many others. Viper was eager to believe Vesoth compensated graciously for allegiance. He was either too aged or too daft to recognize stolen plunder, but Fang didn't care. His task was simple and buying Viper's trust was simpler still.

"Aye, he seeks power and we're poised to give it to him."

"Enlighten me." Fang gestured eloquently and sat in Viper's abandoned chair.

*. *. *