two

Waking up to her phone buzzing wasn't what Rio had in mind but it was still a welcomed surprise.

maddy
hey, party tonight at mckay's.
we're getting ready at mine at like 6

Maddy Perez was one of the most popular, if not the most popular, girls in school. Boys and girls wanted to be her and they both wanted to fuck her too. She'd been in an on and off relationship with Nate Jacobs since the beginning of time. Rio didn't like Nate nor the relationship Maddy had with him. Everyone was left in a constant suspense when they broke up, wondering if that would be the last time. It never was.

maddy
i can see you've read this bitch, are you coming or not?

rio
yeah, yeah i'll be there
if anything i'll meet you at the party

To this day, Rio didn't know why Maddy took notice of her. Out of all the girls in the school that could've taken her interest, she'd picked Rio.

"I was wondering when you'd wake up."

Rio jolted in shock, yet again unaware of her bedroom door even being open. "Stop creeping up on me like that! It's not healthy. What's the time?"

"Your phone is in your hand," Rowan pointed out.

"Yeah but I'm asking you." Rio rolled her eyes.

"It's half three," Rowan told her.

"Half three," Rio repeated. "In the afternoon?"

"No shit, it's clearly not in the morning," Rowan laughed. "Mom wanted to take us out for dinner, if you're going to still be here by then."

"The girls want to do something tonight, so I can't make it. Sorry." Rio tried to have an apologetic expression her face.

"You're not sorry," stated Rowan. "You never are these days."

"I told you I was busy yesterday, Ro," Rio reminded her. "Don't get mad at me."

"I just wanted us to have a happy family day," Rowan admitted.

"The last time we had a happy family day with Mom was when Dad was still here," Rio laughed.

Rowan, however, didn't find her older sister's joke funny. "She's our mother."

"So?" Rio snapped. "Why are you defending her all of a sudden?"

"So she's trying," Rowan snapped. "Give her some credit. Be nice."

"What if I don't want to be nice?" Rio gave a mock pout. She didn't want to play nice with her mother at all.

"You're not funny. We already lost Dad. I'm not going to lose Mom," Rowan told her. "We're not losing her again."

Rio held back a laugh. "Whatever. I need to get ready so..."

"Are you free on Monday after school?" Rowan asked.

Rowan was so intent on becoming a perfect family. Rio didn't know if that would ever happen. She wasn't going to hold out for it or hold her breath.

"I haven't decided yet," Rio said. "I don't know, I might have something planned. You're dressed, where are you going?"

Rowan rolled her eyes. "I told you, I'm going out with Mom."

"I thought that was later," Rio said.

"Since when did you care?" Rowan fired back.

"Touché." Rio smiled. "Well, I'm getting ready and I'm going to Maddy's. I might stay the night or whatever. Don't wait up."