Chapter 18

Undertaker and Teo had remained silent, letting Serena absorb the seriousness of what they had told her as she puttered around the kitchen. The girl appeared to be very interested in whatever mysteries the various cabinets held. Both men knew it was more the opportunity to think that they offered and let her go on.

She turned back to them, still nervous. "Okay, so tonight could start a war?"

"That's correct."

"But you were here." She waved to the reaper. "And William with his little reaper swat team. Teo is a demon and can attest that you all came here to stop Grell. So, we're good."

Teo hunched over the cup that he had taken to make Serena feel better, letting the warmth sink through his fingers. This was going to be interesting and he was glad to have stopped in London. "However, if I hadn't been here, they would have been too late. The Elders will look at them as being a little late on purpose."

"Are you all looking for a reason?"

"I don't believe the Elder has quite explained to you how important a mate's safety is. When a demon's mate dies, that's it. It's over. Demons that have lost their mates go mad. In fact, most of your wide spread tragedies come from an Elder giving in to the evil that they carry inside themselves."

"Not to be offensive, but aren't you all kinda pure evil. Isn't that the point?"

"No. We carry evil and has a rather cruel disposition. We wouldn't have been made demons if we didn't. However, that is tempered by common sense. Most demons are incredibly intelligent, probably due to our long lifespan, that helps as well. Elders carry the most evil within, therefore they have the capacity for the most destruction."

"What is the deal with Elders?!" Serena threw her hands up as she slammed another cabinet door shut.

"Because Elders are soul eaters."

"Don't all demons eat souls?" She came back to the table and sat down. Undertaker seemed to be content with his cup of swill and listened.

"No." Teo laughed. "All demons feed from humans, but what we take is dependent on our power level."

"Okay."

"For instance. You're human legends about vampires. The lowest power level and normally the youngest demons, feed on a human's blood. They haven't learned to pull essence and need a physical feeding."

"Well, damn. Aren't all those Dracula fans going to be pissed?"

"What?"

Serena thought for a moment before looking to Undertaker. "It's not written yet, is it?"

"Probably not, though it sounds very interesting." He giggled into his sleeve.

The demon leaned into her personal space. "You know the future?"

"I shouldn't have said that." She tried to back away but Teo came with her.

"Not your best idea." Undertaker threw his death scythe between them, making Teo pull back. "Miss Serena is actually from the future. No one seems to know why she has brought here. I would remind you of the task at hand and who you would be against if you tried to take her away."

"Right," Teo straightened back up in his chair. "Next are demons that feed on essence. These comprise the majority of demons. They feed on high emotions connected to sins. Lust and anger for example. There is really no lasting effect. Like blood, you all regenerate it in a few days."

"But Ciel's contract is about anger. So, why does Sebastian get his soul in the end?"

"No, the little Earl's contract is about wrath." Undertaker slid an arm over Serena shoulders. "Anyone can be angry. Anger is a normal emotion and normally set aside. But wrath, that's a different apple. Wrath grows, feeds on it's owner until it is all consuming and you would do anything in it's grip."