Chapter 24

Serena was asleep. She knew that she was asleep, but she still felt the body that she was using as her pillow shift, felt the bed move as someone got out. Her hand shot out to grab them but connected with empty air. The girl pulled the rest of the way out of sleep when she heard the soft click of the door closing.

"Sebastian?"

She pushed the mass of her red hair behind her to look around the room, but there was no one with her. Sliding off the bed, she went to the curtains but it was still dark out. The clock on the mantle read 3:00.

"There is no way that he is waking everyone at three in the morning."

Padding down the stairs, she kept an ear out for any sign of the black-clad butler, but there was nothing. Serena shook her head as she headed for the kitchen via the dining room.

"I swear if you are back in this kitchen..." The redhead stopped just inside the door at the sight of her demon and another man standing next to the servants' door. "Oh, hello."

Sebastian moved quickly to block her view of the other man. "Serena, you should be in bed."

"Who's this?" She looked around him to see the brunette that was waiting patiently. He was pale, not very surprising in the middle of winter in England, tall and dressed well. There was no expression on his perfect face as he watched the two of them. It was his dark eyes, the colour of dark chocolate, that hinted at something wicked.

"No one." Sebastian started to push her out the door but Serena spun away.

"I'm beginning to think that it's someone."

"I will go now, if you wish, Elder."

"Elder?" She raised an eyebrow before turning back. "So, you're a demon?"

The butler moved faster than she could see, it was only when the sound of a smack filled the room that Serena realized Sebastian had hit the other man in the back of the head.

"Sebastian!" The redhead stomped over and another smack was heard.

The demon stared at her for a moment, not believing that she just hit him like he would an underling. "Woman! Go to bed!"

The other demon let out a soft laugh that turned into a cough when Sebastian growled at him.

"Forgive me, Elder."

"Why are making this so difficult?" She waved to both of them. "Just introduce us."

The Elder sighed. "Serena, this is Malikai, who is leaving."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, my lady. I'm sorry that I have disturbed your night." Malikai bowed.

"Not at all." Serena shrugged it off and turned back to Sebastian. "Was that so difficult?"

"Will you go back to bed?"

"What's the magic word?"

"Now." He glared down at his smiling mate.

"No, try again." She teased.

Sebastian growled low. "Will you please go back to bed?"

"Well, since you asked nicely." Serena laughed and started for the door.

The Elder turned back to the other demon but didn't say anything when he felt his mate stop at the door.

"It was nice meeting you, Malikai."

The brunette bowed again as she breezed out of the room. "She's very interesting, Elder. I look forward to your mate's presence in our home."

"Go feed, Malikai. You are returning home directly after?"