Fight with Lucy

{NATSU'S POV}
We sit together in the small waiting room outside Principal Makarov's office. The silence is awkward. Lucy seems upset, because she keeps fidgeting.

"So, about the past—" I start, only to be interrupted by the principal opening the door of his office and motioning us inside.

I'm really getting sick of the interruptions.

Principal Makarov sits behind his desk, and we settle opposite him.

"So," he begins. "Mrs. Fiziks told me that she was sending two chatty kids down for disrupting class."

We try to protest, but he holds up a hand. "Both of you are smart brats. I know that. So what's brought about this uncharacteristic behavior?"

"Lucy makes no sense!" I yell at the same time that Lucy yells, "Natsu's a dense idiot!"

Principal Makarov blinks, not expecting the outburst. We turn on each other in sync.

"I make no sense? Me?! At least I never break my promises, Natsu! You're the idiot who doesn't understand anything!"

My frustration at everything—the continuous interruptions, Lisanna, the past, myself—all boils over and I snap.

"That's exactly what I mean! When we met, you glared at me and I had no clue what on Earth you were talking about, but whenever I try to make sense of it, I keep getting thwarted! I'm sick of always being the only one in the dark!"

My inner mind yells at me to shut up. Don't take it out on Lucy. This isn't her fault.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. Lucy and I are screaming at each other and I can't control my big mouth. This is a catastrophe.

I don't want to fight with Lucy. From the day I met her, me feelings for her have only grown. She went from being the new girl to maybe the girl from my past, then we became friends, and now...

I don't know what I want! Argh, this is so confusing! I've always been in love with the girl from past, but now I care for Lucy too, but if they aren't the same girl then what am I going to do?

I want to tear out my hair but I just keep yelling, and so does Lucy. Her face is bright red and she's crying. That sobers me up fast.

Shit. I made her cry.

I stop abruptly and so does Lucy. We've risen from our seats sometime in the past ten minutes. I breathing hard, like I just ran a marathon. The sudden silence is deafening.

Principal Makarov is rubbing his temples. We clearly gave him a much bigger scene than he bargained for. He mutters, "And here I thought I'd quit being a marriage counselor."

Lucy is a mess. I feel awful and open my mouth to apologize, but she bolts from the office. My heart sinks. I plop down in my seat, dejected.

"Why don't you tell me how much you remember?" Principal Makarov asks. I nod, starting at the very beginning; ten years ago.

{LUCY'S POV}
I'm such an idiot.

The bell rings, reminding me that I'm curled in a ball on the school bathroom's floor. I need to get to class. Actually, I should probably go back to the principal's office, but the thought of seeing Natsu right now makes me want to cry all over again.

"Who are you kidding?" I ask myself dejectedly. "What the promise represented is still there? That's the part that truly matters? You're only kidding yourself, Lucy. Natsu doesn't want to remember. He hates you now."

I drag myself to my feet and stagger forward. I check my puffy eyed reflection in the mirror, sigh because I look miserable, and open the bathroom door, only to find myself face to face with Lisanna. Flanking her on both sides are two side characters who I never bothered to learn the names of.