Extra #4: A giant and his shrimp

{GAJEEL'S POV}
You know what? All the people who think singles have it hard, they should try dating. I'm not dumb, but Shrimp is so much smarter than me.

I tried reading over her shoulder once and I barely got through the first paragraph before she flipped the page. Even what little I could read made absolutely zero sense to me:

Comment faire vous embrasser votre petit ami:
1. Tenir la main
2. Passer beaucoup de temps ensemble
3. Aller aux dates

Seriously? That's not even in English! I don't stand a chance against Shrimp.

And so, even though we've been dating for a month now, Gray and Juvia are a lot more romantic than us and they've been dating for a few days. As embarrassing as it is, Shrimp and I have only kissed once, when she first confessed.

I don't know how she feels about me anymore. Has the novelty of dating finally worn off? Is Shrimp bored of me? I'm losing to Shrimp's books. She would totally marry them if she could.

At least we walk home together everyday. That's something, right? I walk beside Shrimp and she has her nose in a book even as she walks. Seriously, if Shrimp walks into the street, she's so tiny that cars might not see her and she wouldn't notice them because she's reading so intently.

As if confirming my newfound fear, Shrimp unconsciously trails off to the side and almost steps off the sidewalk. I casually pick her up and set her on my other side, making a mental note to always walk between Shrimp and the road.

Shrimp doesn't even notice.

Great, yet another thing to be worried about. If I'm not careful, this could turn into one of those toxic relationships where the guy tries to lock the girl away and won't let her do anything. I definitely don't want to do that.

We should spend time together. We're dating, which implies that we should go on dates. I clear my throat. "You want to do something?"

Shrimp looks up at me, startled. "Oh, sure. I guess you can come with me."

We veer off course, heading away from the residential area and toward the mall. I'm a little hurt that Shrimp had plans and she didn't even think about inviting me.

There's a midday rush at the mall, because school just let out. I try to grab Shrimp so I don't lose her, only to realize it's too late.

I scan the crowd. One of the good things about being a head taller than everybody else is that I can see over everybody's heads.

Finally, I spot Shrimp staring into a store window. Is she window shopping without me? I shove my my way over.

It's a Calvin Klein store, and the mannequins in the window are wearing assorted colors of designer boxer-briefs. I didn't know Shrimp was into that.

But Shrimp isn't exactly looking through the glass. She's messing with her hair, tucking and untucking it behind her ears. I don't see any difference, but Shrimp nods to herself and smiles.

She turns around and yelps when she sees me right behind her, staring at her. Then she blushes.

"Were you looking at your reflection in the glass?" I smirk. I guess Shrimp must care about me a little, because she doesn't usually worry about her appearance. Shrimp is naturally cute, after all.

"No!" Shrimp shakes her head rapidly.

"Oh, so you were checking out the underwear." I laugh. I shouldn't tease Shrimp, but my girlfriend is just too damn adorable.

Shrimp turns and finally sees what's in the window display. Her blush darkens three shades. I can't help myself, and lean down. "See any you like?"

"You're insufferable!" Shrimp yells and stomps off. I'll take that as a compliment.

I follow her, and am not the least but surprised when we end up at Barnes N' Noble. I figured this was the case when Shrimp said she had somewhere to go. I just wish she'd share her passions with me more. We might not like the same types of novels, but I do like to read.

Shrimp goes up to the women at the register and they launch into conversation like the best of friends. Shrimp does spend more time here then school, so it makes sense.

The ladies take out a carefully wrapped package and hand it to her. Shrimp bounces over to me with her prize, and rips it open, revealing the second edition of that not-English book she was reading earlier. Rencontres Pour Les Nuls: Version Deux.

Shrimp squeals and hugs it, then looks longingly at the rows and rows of books. She turns to me and forces a smile. "Where to now? You probably want to go to GameStop or the arcade, right?"

I walk over to the nearest shelf, pull out a random book and thumb through the pages. "I'm good."

"Really? It's fine. I know listening to me drone about books gets really annoying. The arcade—"

I cut Shrimp off by putting my index finger over her mouth. "I'm happy wherever we are, as long as we go there together."

"Awww!" The ladies at the register swoon.

Shrimp breaks into a wide grin. She looks at the cover of the book I'm holding, then casually takes from me, closes it, and puts it back on the shelf.

"You don't want to read that book." She tells me.

"Why not?" I ask, glancing at the title. "What's wrong with The Billionaire's Pregnant Mistress?"

Shrimp looks like she's trying hard not to laugh. "I don't think you're... ready for Harlequin romance novels just yet."

For the next two hours, Shrimp lectures me on which books she's read (all of them), which she liked (most of them), and a few she thinks will interest me.

Shrimp clearly has lots to talk about, and she keeps my attention hooked so I don't get bored. In fact, Shrimp seems ecstatic that I care so much. She doesn't seem to realize that I care because of her. We end up leaving after buying five books.

We're walking through the mall holding hands, laughing and talking, when I feel a hand grab my shoulder. I turn around, thinking maybe someone needs directions and wondering why they picked the tall, scary guy. I usually freak people out.

Instead of a lost tourist, I'm faced with a mall cop.

"Hello sir, mind telling me where you found that elementary schooler?" He asks suspiciously.

"Excuse me?" Shrimp asks indignantly.

He holds out a hand. "Come on, little girl, I'll take you to the lost children department. Do you know your parents' names or how to contact them?"

Veins are popping out of Shrimp's head. I don't blame her, this guy is starting to piss me off too. Shrimp slaps the mall cop's hand away.

"I am in high school, thank you very much. And Gajeel isn't kidnapping me. He's my boyfriend!"

Shrimp turns on me, reaching up and grabbing my shirt. I'm not expecting it so I get pulled forward. Our lips slam together.

It's not the most romantic kiss and my teeth hurt from colliding with hers, but my heart still starts beating double time.

"Satisfied?" Shrimp asks the now mortified mall cop. My face is hot.

He bows. "I'm so sorry! Please enjoy yourselves."

Shrimp squeezes my hand tight and drags me out of the mall. I cover my mouth with my hand. The next time I come to the mall, I might buy some Calvin Klein underwear.