Chapter One

Chapter One

Vses stared at the large white building, from across the street inside the local coffee shop, Lacrosme. The building was known to the community as an old, rarely used, medical building. Built many years before today, the community had nearly forgotten about the building, making it the perfect place for people to disappear without drawing in the attention of the people outside the building walls. Vses had only been on the planet Earth for a couple of days and he already dispised the people who he knew were operating underneath the building, experimenting on his people.

Vses had seen his friends, his own brother, being sent to Earth to examine the world in person, only to lose connection to with them. Those sent to find them didn't return either, leaving only the worst thoughts for the family of those sent away. This species was only just getting into the modern age with their technology and scientific discoveries. Vses's kind had thought that a simple observation would be in order. Now, Vses knew his kind was deeply regretting this decision.

Vses took a slow sip of the beverage that the human creature with the name tag Maranda had given to him. He had ordered a simple coffee, having observed another women moments earlier order the same thing. Instead of having all the extra sounding things, he went with a plain coffee instead, getting a slightly disgusted look from the female Maranda that Vses had ignored to the best of his abilities. The beverage was hotter then Vses had expected it would be, and lacked a lot of taste, not that his non-human taste buds would have picked the flavor up. The flavors on this planet weren't very strong or outstanding in any way and were rarely picked up by Vses's weaker taste buds. Vses had only been on the planet for a short three days, and after tasting some of the dishes the planet had to offer, he wouldn't say he was anywhere near impressed.

Vses continued to look out the glass window of the coffee shop, looking at the building in question. He had already mapped out the building and tossed a scanning sphere overtop of the building and had a general rough drafted map of the space down below the main structure. It wouldn't help with all the turns that Vses knew he would eventually have to take but it would help he locate the only door that he had managed to figure out the location of.

Vses knew his kind had underestimated the humans based solely off of the fact that he had struggled to find this location. On a worldwide map that could be found online, this place didn't exist. The only people that knew of the medical building were those who lived in the city, and even then, not many people had ever truly ventured down to this section of the city and put a lick of thought into the building and what it was built for.

Vses was waiting. He had been watching the building for over a human hour and had seen not a soul exit or enter the building. That made the building even more suspicious and it made Vses wonder how no one had ever thought to question it. Maybe only a select few humans had that type of mental capacity, pondered Vses as he took another, small sip.

When he saw two more people come and go through the coffee shop, he decided that the longer he stayed the more suspicious it would appear to the female Maranda who had recently started eying him, as if urging him to leave her working place. Vses knew it wouldn't comfort her to know that Vses didn't like her either. Vses hoped that not all humans were like the female, as it would make for a bad stay on the planet, a stay that Vses hoped wouldn't end up extending much longer.

Removing himself from the coffee shop, Vses walked down the steady downward sidewalk, towards a small shopping center that was very close to the destination that Vses knew he should remain close to. The shopping center was filled with around twenty people, all scattered about. Some in pairs and groups, while others were separated off all alone.

Deciding that this place would be a great place to blend in and observe the humans, Vses walked in between two shelves and eavesdropped on a conversation taking place between two of the younger females in the store.

"What is the rule, Jane, I thought we went over this," One of the two females said to the other. The interaction was weirder than the ones at home already, he could tell that based off of one sentence that humans didn't hold back what they said. "We don't mess with the underclassmen, we f*ck the seniors!" The girl said, laughing loudly. Vses got confused at the words towards the second half of the sentence but the girl, Jane, wasn't. A gasping noise escaped the Jane girl.

"Shut up Mavye!! Dylan isn't that bad! He's tall, and he's into art. That is a rare quality for the freshmen." Jane said to Mavye who was still laughing at what she had said earlier.

"If you say so, but if you abandon us at lunch again like you did yesterday, I will personally hide your body in the woods," Mavye said tensely. "Plus you hurt Ava's feelings!!" The two girls eventually moved out of hearing, thankfully, and Vses was returned to silence.

It took Vses many moments to realize the Jane female had been talking about a mating partner. It didn't make much sense during the conversation but now that Vses understood that Dylan was Jane's potential mate it made so much more sense. It appeared that Mavye didn't like the mating very much, based on how she seemed to threaten Jane, who seemed almost used to the threats. If all-female humans in the adolescent stage were like this, I pitied the humans.

Vses unknowingly stood out in the crowd. He attempted to blend in more by wearing clothes that covered his red-tinted skin and shades to hide his phosphorescent orange eyes but even then, he looked like a creep. Even with his very well covered skin, the parts of his skin that were seen concerned those who noticed the tint of his red skin.

Vses continued to roam the center, looking down at the way that the store attempted to sell their products. It was quite weird to Vses how the humans seemed to fall for the lies that were displayed on the box.

This item can do this--and this--- and you won't have to buy another -- in your life!

It was ridiculous to Vses. But if that was how the humans wished to waste the wealth they work to collect on items that clearly wouldn't work in the long run.

Vses left the center when the darkness began to set outside. This planet was unique that way. It only had one sun and had seven planets nearby. Where Vses was born, there was a twin planet very close to his home planet. There weren't many nearby other than the twin. They had seven moons constantly orbiting both his home planet and it's a twin. The two planets sharing four of the seven moons. The twin had a faint ring around it but Vses home planet did not. Vses home had three suns, ranging in size and color.

This planet only had one of both the sun and moon. It made it unique, considering that one of the uninhabited planets in the same system as Earth had many moons, seventy-nine to be exact.

Vses returned to outside the now-closed coffee shop, noticing that the only people still about were in their automobiles. The head-lights shining when they drove by, not noticing Vses as he watching them quietly. Vses knew that he would have to investigate the building tonight because his time on the planet was rather limited. Not only in fear of being caught by the scientists but in fear of being caught in general.

Vses took a deep to inhale, not for breathing sakes but to calm his nerves as when another care passed, Vses rushed across the street and stood in front of the 'medical' building, entering through the front doors and waited. There weren't any lights activated in the building, only darkness. With Vses's advanced hearing, he could faintly hear the noise of people down underneath him in the underground lab that Vses would soon break into.

Because Vses needed answers. He couldn't return home without answers knowing of the mothers of the sons who never returned home and not explain what happened to their sons.

Vses needed answers.