Trying to Do What Villains Do Best

We made our way to the museum and Mal said to Evie impatiently, "Come on. Check your mirror."

Evie frowned and asked, "Is my mascara smudged?"

Mal nodded. "Yeah. And, hey, while you're at it, why don't you see if you can find us the wand?"

"Sure. This way."

We stood outside the museum entrance. We saw a guard turn and ducked out of the way.

When we returned, Jay noticed Maleficent's wheel. "That's your mother's spinning wheel?"

Mal nodded and Carlos scoffed. "Yeah, it's kind of dorky."

Mal rolled her eyes. "It's magic. It doesn't have to look scary. 'Magic spindle, do not linger. Make my victim prick a finger.'"

"Impressive." Jay said.

"I got chills." Carlos added.

Mal frowned slightly. "Okay, you know what? 'Prick the finger, prick it deep. Send my enemy off to sleep.'"

"Ooh!" The security guard sitting at the desk exclaimed. He touched the spinning wheel and laid on the spinning wheel pedestal and fell asleep.

Mal smirked. "Not so dorky now, huh?"

I frowned. "Mal, quit showing off."

She shrugged as Jay said, "Stand back."

"'Make it easy, make it quick, open up without a kick.'" Mal read.

"Ahh!" Jay cried, landing on the floor after his attempted kick.

"Coming?" Mal asked us.

We followed her inside and Carlos glanced back. "Come on, Jay."

He shook his head. "I'm good."

Carlos pursed his lips. "Just trying to help."

Mal glanced at him. "Shh. Carlos!"

"Coming." He answered. "Come on, Mia."

Evie looked in her mirror. "So close. Upstairs."

"Come on." Mal said. "Go, go, go, go. Up, up, up, up, up."

We ran up the stairs and Evie called out, "Come on, guys. Almost there." She paused, seeing waxed figures of our parents. "Mommy?"

I walked up to the waxed figure of my mother. "Killer." Jay said, noticing his dad.

Carlos shuddered slightly. "I will never forget Mother's Day again."

Jay looked around the room. "Well, the wand's not here. Let's bounce. Let's go."

I continued staring at my mother's waxed figure. "Mom, I don't want to fail you, but what if I do? What then? Will you welcome me back home?"

The figure remained silent. "Not surprising that you didn't answer. Some mom you are."

[Mia and Mother Gothel do their version of Evil Like Me, while Mal and Maleficent do so as well]

Evie ran into the room. "Hey, I found the wand."

Mal and I stared at the still figures of our mothers before running after Evie.

"Here it is." Evie said.

"Whoo!" Jay cheered.

He readied to go under the barrier and Mal cried, "Jay, don't! Wait, no! No! Don't! Ah!"

Jay reached for the wand and as soon as his hand hit the force field, sirens started blaring and Carlos' eyes narrowed. "A force field and a siren?"

"That's just a little excessive." Jay noted.

"Let's go!" Mal cried.

"Hurry." Evie said.

"Come on."

Carlos pressed a button. "Hello? Uh, uh, just give me one second. One second. Uh, yeah, yeah. No, false alarm. It was a malfunction in the, uh, in the 714 chip in the breadboard circuit. Yeah. Okay. Say hi to the missus."

"Carlos!" Mal yelled.

"You're welcome." Carlos answered sarcastically.

I high-fived him as Mal turned angrily to Jay. "Way to go, Jay. Now we have to go to school tomorrow."

I groaned. "Well done. More goodness to try to influence us."

Mal smirked at me. "You speak my language."

"That's why we get along so well, Mallie."

"Don't call me that, Amelia."

"It's Mia." I corrected, shooting her a dirty look.

Her eyes started glowing green and I felt my fingers crackle. Evie stepped between us. "Stop it, you two."