Learning How to Be Good

During Remedial Goodness 101, we were half-paying attention and half doing our own thing. Fairy Godmother is at the board with a pointer stick. "If someone hands you a crying baby, do you, A, curse it? B, lock it in a tower? C, give it a bottle? Or D, carve out its heart? Evie."

Evie frowned. "What was the second one?"

"Oh, okay. Anyone else? Mal?

"C, give it a bottle." Mal answered, glancing up.

"Correct. Again."

Carlos grinned. "You are on fire, girl!"

Mal shrugged. "Just pick the one that doesn't sound like any fun."

"Oh."

I raised an eyebrow. "What, you didn't realize that? Although, B sounds like much more fun."

Evie smirked at me before her eyes widened slightly. "That makes so much sense."

"Oh..." Mal began.

She was interrupted by Fairy Godmother. "Oh. Hello, dear one."

"You need to sign off on early dismissal for the coronation." The girl said quickly.

Fairy Godmother smiled. "Everyone here remembers my daughter Jane?"

We saw a small girl with a brunette bob.

"Mom, no!" Jane exclaimed as her eyes widened.

Fairy Godmother smiled. "It's okay. Jane, this is everyone."

Jane gave us a nervous smile. "Hi. That's okay, don't mind me. As you were."

"Ahem." Fairy Godmother called, drawing attention to us. "Let's continue. You find a vial of poison. Do you, A, put it in the king's wine? B, paint it on an apple? Or C, turn it over to the proper authorities?"

The boys started fighting to say the answer. "Oh!" Carlos grunted. "Ooh...get off."

"Jay." Fairy Godmother called.

"C. You turn it over to the proper authorities."

Carlos frowned. "I was gonna say that."

Jay smirked. "But I said it first. Come here!"

"Ow!" Carlos cried as Jay rubbed his fist against Carlos' head and pinned him to the table.

"Come on, who said it first? Who said it first?"

"Ow!" Carlos cried again. "Stop! Ah!"

Fairy Godmother frowned. "Boys. Boys! I am gonna encourage you to use that energy on the tourney field."

Carlos shook his head repeatedly. "Oh, no. That's okay. Whatever that it, we'll...we'll pass."

After class, we head to our lockers. Evie waved goodbye. "Bye, Mal. Bye, Mia."

We glanced to her. "Bye."

I grabbed my books and stopped by the bathroom. I was joined moments later by Jane and Mal.

Mal smiled at the girl. "Hi! It's Jane, right? Ah, always loved that name. Jane."

"That's cool." Jane answered, making her way to the door.

"Don't go! I guess I was just kind of hoping to make a friend. Both of us were. You probably have all the friends you need though."

"Hardly." Jane admitted.

"Really?" Mal inquired. "I mean, with your mom being Fairy Godmother and headmistress? I mean, not to mention your own, um...personality."

I nodded. "Yeah. It must be pretty great having your mom in charge."

Jane shrugged. "Not really. I'd rather be pretty. You two have got great hair."

Mal smirked. "You know what? I have just the thing for that. It's right..." She flipped through her spell book. "Ah, here. 'Beware, forswear, replace the old with brand new hair.'"

"Oh, ah, ah!" Jane cried, looking at her now long curly hair.

"Wow! You almost don't notice your...other features anymore."

I shot her a look, warning her to be nice. Jane's eyes widened. "Do my nose!"

Mal shook her head. "Oh, I can't. I've been practicing, but you know, I can't do really big magic. Not like your mom with her wand. I mean, one swoosh from that thing and you could probably have whatever feature you wanted."

Jane sighed. "She doesn't use the wand anymore. She believes the real magic is in the books. And not the spell books, regular books with history and stuff. Mia, could you do my nose?"

I shook my head. "No, sorry. I don't really do magic on people."

Mal scoffed at Jane's words. "What a rip."

"Yeah."

Mal frowned. "You know, she used magic on Cinderella, who wasn't even her real daughter. Doesn't she love you?"

Jane furrowed her brow. "Well, of course she does. It's...It's just, you know, tough love. "Work on the inside, not the outside." You know, that sort of thing."

Mal pointed at Jane. "That's the face! Yeah, and then just look as if your...your heart is about to break. "Oh, mother, I just don't understand why you can't make me beautiful, too.""

"Think it would work?"

I nodded as Mal said, "Yeah. I mean, that's what old Cindy did, right? And your mother Bibbidi-bobbidi-booed the living daylights out of her. And hey, if your mom does decide to, you know, break out the old wand, invite us."

Jane nodded. "If I can convince mom, you two are so there."

"Yay." Mal cheered falsely.

"Bye."

"Bye."

Jane left the bathroom and I smirked at my friend. "You never cease to impress me. You're quite the evil genius."

Mal returned my smirk. "I know."