Through the Pain and the Visions

Hvitserk carried Rán on his back as they started their way back to the ships

Hvitserk carried Rán on his back as they started their way back to the ships. She held the man close, as she had her arms wrapped around his neck, with her cheek resting on his shoulder. The tears had long since dried up as she stared off into the distance, her body and mind completely numb. The only way she could tell that she was still alive was the full body ache along the lines of her tattoos. It made every line feel as fresh as the day she had got them. She didn't remember a thing after she collapsed, but when she woke up she knew what had happened. Ragnar Lothbrok was dead.

Hvitserk held the woman with ease as he carried her along the cliffside thankful to be wrapped in her warm embrace as he mourned in silence. He had been so worried when she collapsed to the ground. He thought it was just another vision, but with the arrival of the All Father and the news he brought with him, he was ashamed to admit that his concern deteriorated to rage. The downward spiral of the possible secrets she was keeping from them, and the fact that his father's death was one of them. Yet, when she awoke a sobbing mess, nearly unable to breathe from the physical pain and the loss, his rage melted away leaving only pity for the woman curled up in the dirt.

The mood of silent mourning lingered over them as they returned, but once they had set foot on the sturdy wood of their boats Bjorn broke through the silence with his burning rage. He knew her pain, he knew the visions were unpleasant, but after finding out that his own sister knew that Ragnar was set to die and did nothing, he snapped. He was silent at first the rage debilitating his ability to form a sentence, pacing about the length of the boat before stopping to kneel before Rán. "You knew?" He questioned quickly before standing up and wiping his face not trusting himself to not physically grab her. "You knew that our father was going to die!" He yelled throwing a bucket onto the ground before kneeling before her again. "You said nothing." He whispered. "YOU SAID NOTHING!" He roared not even earning a flinch from Rán as the two stared at each other. "You made a promise to me, as children, that you would tell me if anything bad were to ever happen to our family. You swore on the gods themselves! And now you have lied. If you had opened your damn mouth and kept our promise my father would still be alive. You no longer deserve to be considered his daughter now that you have killed him! You are the reason he is dead." He accused before turning his back on her.

"How dare you." She hissed as she got to her feet. "I have been plagued with horrors beyond any of you could imagine! The only visions I ever have are of the people I care about, dying! Each one more gruesome than the next, and there is, nothing I can do to change it! Its the fucking will of the gods!" She barked motioning to the sky above. "I have lost a father, for the second time, and might as well add in my mother because technically she is dead too! Im an orphan, forced to live in a time not my own. Ever since I was forced here I have not had a single day that I didn't have to suffer through horrible visions that I can barely decipher." She ranted before taking a deep breath and looking right at her brother. "So fuck you Bjorn." She screamed catching everyone off guard by the shear volume of the woman's voice. "I didnt ask for this, I didnt want to come back here." She took an unsteady breath as tears slowly rolled down her cheeks "I just want to go home." She sobbed in agony, before looking around for a way out when a wave splashed up against the side of the boat. If she had been forced here by water then maybe she can leave the same way. If she drowned, then it was a far better fate than living another day of this suffering. She turned and sprinted to the edge of the boat getting ready to dive right off without a single hesitation of death.