.𝟎𝟐

BRAZEN

        PIPER'S OUT of breath by the time she finds a good hiding spot- in the corner of the building, right next to a restroom

     PIPER'S OUT of breath by the time she finds a good hiding spot- in the corner of the building, right next to a restroom. That's when she allows herself to giggle, pretty loudly might I add, catching the attention of a worker.

      " Holy-I thought we were closed. " Piper's head whips at the sound of a boy's voice. " Oh, hey. " the moment is awkward, surely, but the boy has a glare of familiarity as he stares at the brown-eyed girl.

" Oops, I guess you are closed. Uh, what is this? A bar? " Piper notices the row of assorted alcohols on a shelf by a table of barstools, she would totally get in trouble if she was caught here. And she already was, by this guy.

" Paper Tiger, that's the name. " He smiles, she gives one in reply. Piper turns around, mind set to leaving, until it hits her. The guy.

" Holy shit, you're the guy from the thing! " " The rehab shit, but yes, it's me. God, I was just waiting for you to recognize me. " Piper laughs.

" I know names better, not faces. " Luca walks towards the bar, Piper following. Sitting on a chair, Luca leans forward. " Water? " Piper nods, her hope of getting alcohol dying out.

        " You see, I would give you something other than water- if you know what I mean- but I've heard you're a little bit reckless when it comes to that. " Piper laughs, not believing the words coming out of his mouth. He was calling her out.

      " Ah, yes. The whole beer thing- Hey, if you're not careful I'll probably steal that vodka right behind you. " Luca laughs, handing her the glass of water.

     " If you could get caught once, you'll get caught again. " Piper rolls her eyes. " Well- if we're being honest here, it wasn't me who stole the beers. It was my friend. " Luca bites his lip.

      " She blamed you? " Piper shakes her head. " I took the blame for him- quite a difference. " Luca nods his head, not truly digesting the words coming out of her mouth. Why would she take the blame?

      " He's Valedictorian at my school- I couldn't let his life be ruined, ya know? " Piper takes a sip of water, her throat feeling parched. " Besides, he's my best friend. " Piper shrugs. " It's not that big of a deal. "

Luca's brow is up in question. " It's a pretty big deal- I mean, it's going to be on your record. Forever! " Piper scoffs. " And it would've been on his if I didn't do anything! " Luca chuckles.

" I don't mean to judge but is he really worth it? So much you would taint your future record because of it? " Piper frowns.

      " Of course he is. " and speak of the devil. The sound of a bell chimes as Nick walks in. He spots Piper and makes a beeline for her, triumph etched on his face.

       " Found you. " Piper smiles as Nick pokes her shoulder. " Thirty minutes late fores- uh- Nicky. " Piper slides her drink towards Luca as she gets out of the stool.

" Bye, Luca. " She reaches into her pocket in search of money. "No, no. My pleasure. " Luca gives her one last smile before she parts way.

         Luca can't help but to be a little bit confused as to why Piper would taint her future for some guy like Nick. He just sighs and continues cleaning the counter top, only remembering then to lock the front door.

" .... I felt bad. So, I put them back. " The next day, Piper checks her phone as Luca tells a tale. Five minutes left, then she'll be outta here and gone. She grins.

" Thank you, Luca. You all are dismissed. " with pip in her step, Piper heads outside.

           She waits on a bench, in search of Nick and his lanky body. She sighs, not being able to find him. " Hey, Piper. " She turns to see Luca sit next to her.

          " Hi. How's your club going? " he chuckles. " Great, actually. Frankie Simone is playing a gig tonight. " Piper scrunches her eyebrows.

          " Frankie Simone? Who- " " I love Frankie Simone! " Elodie sits next to Piper, eyes gleaming. " She's one of the best indie artists- " "Yeah, she is. " Elodie now gets interrupted by Moe, who hopped over the bench and landed right in the middle of Piper and Luca.

           The bench is now squished with bodies, more comfortable than irritating. " Wait, who are we talking about? " Tabitha gingerly sits on the arm of the bench, next to Luca.

         " Frankie Simone, she's playing tonight at Paper Tiger-the club I work at. You guys should go. " Luca grins at all of them.

          " I'm busy tonight. " Moe sighs, getting up form the bench. She gives a wave as she walks backwards. " Maybe another time? " Tabitha follows suit.

           " Yeah, I'm taken today. Besides, Frankie Simone is someone I would never listen to, much less see her show. " she shrugs. " Later. " 

            Piper sighs as she makes eye contact with Nick, a McDonald's bag in his right hand. " I got you a McFlurry! " Piper gets up, then sits back down. She turns to Luca.

           " Hey-um- I might not make it, but if I do, what time? " Luca smiles. " I'll text you. " Piper laughs. " You don't have my number, Doofus. "

           " Then give it to me. " a smirk. That stupid smirk is what makes Piper giggle- giggle too much. Piper's throat aches as she gives him her phone.

          " Come on, Pipes. Your ice cream's going to melt. " Piper grins as she takes her phone, heading towards Nick. " Bye, losers! "

           Piper takes one last glance backwards, catching the sight of Elodie and Luca having a conversation- probably about Frankie Simone.

            She smiles.