Slow steps

It was 7:00am. Betty has just gotten up and got washed and dressed and headed to have breakfast. She figured she would stay in the hospital since Fred is stuck in Chicago for a business meeting and Mary is in the middle of a case. "Betty I know you want to be there for Archie but isn't it painful to see him like this?" Alice said handing her orange juice. "Obviously but he's my best friend." Betty argued sipping her juice. "We are just worried it might upset you too much." Polly said coming to sit next to her. "Well I'm not seven anymore to be worrying about me and when I was in hospital when I supposedly caught the 'serial killer gene' Archie visited me everyday." She pointed out. "Just be back by 8:00pm I'm too weak to start an argument." Alice said rubbing her temples.

Meanwhile in the hospital..

"What do you mean surgery?" Veronica yelled. "Calm down miss he dislocated his shoulder in the crash and we just need to pop it back into place nothing to worry about!" The nurse said tucking faffing around with the wires. "And what about all the bruises and cuts?" Veronica said wincing as the nurse touched his poor shoulder. "We stitched up the deep cuts and the smaller ones should heal in a couple days and the bruises will fade away miss..?" The nurse asked. "Miss lodge." She quickly said. "Well I have school I'll be back by 12 and not a second later." Veronica said grabbing her Louis Vuitton bag. "Ok he's in safe hands." The nurse said showing her out. That's when B and V collided in the corridor. "Betty what the hell are you doing here?" She said looking at her up and down. "I'm taking the day off and where are you off to?" Betty asked. "School I've missed too many days to take care of him." Veronica said. "Wait so he's been in an accident and you didn't call me the second it happened." Betty said realising. "I couldn't it was immediate family and I was the closest." Veronica said but her lips curled at the last bit of her sentence which annoyed Betty. "I have no time for this." Betty said rolling her eyes. "B..?" Veronica pulled her arm before she left. "What?" Betty murmured. "Don't tell anyone about the accident." Veronica muttered. "Wait you want me to lie to my best friend and boyfriend?" She asked. "For now I'll tell him myself." Veronica said biting her perfectly painted lower lip. "How can I keep this though." Betty hissed. "B I can go to jail!" Veronica hissed back clutching her arm tighter. "I'll keep your secret but only for Archie I can't stand to hurt him now." Betty said. "Thanks B." Veronica exhaled. "I didn't do this for you." Betty said pulling away from her and walking away. She walked into room 307 again and sat down. Archie was asleep. Betty couldn't sleep at all last night because of the accident. "Miss we have to perform the surgery soon." A chubby nurse said coming into the room. "W-What surgery?" Betty stuttered. "Nurse Agatha already told you didn't she? Your boyfriend is having surgery to put his shoulder into place." The nurse replied. "Oh h-he's not my boyfriend. He's my friend." Betty flushed shade of red. "Oops my mistake well you can come back later 3 hours tops." The nurse said squeezing Betty's hand because she can tell how nervous Betty was. "Wait!" Betty said to the doctors who were about the transport Archie from the bed to the wheelie bed. "Miss we need to get him into theatre is this going to take long?" One of them asked frustratedly. "Not at all!" Betty said rushing to Archie. She kissed his cut forehead. "Get well soon." She whispered. She felt embarrassed she had to do that in front of them but she couldn't leave without saying goodbye. "Miss I'd imagine you have school." The nurse asked sympathetically. "School can wait nurse..?"
"Nurse Tamara nice to meet you..?"
"Betty-Betty Cooper." Betty said nervously shaking her hand. "Listen darling you look tired and emotionally drained go get yourself some breakfast and have a bath or something to relax you and come back." She said rubbing my back. "Ok thanks." Betty said. She could hear Archie's wheelie bed from the end of the corridor. She shuddered and practically ran out. She heard her phone vibrate in her back pocket. It was Jughead.

"Hey Jug."
"Hey Betty where are you?" He sounded very concerned.
"Just left the hospital Archie is in surgery."
"Wait what?"
"Yeah I'm going to have brunch at Pop's coming?"
"Serpent meeting but after I promise."
"Ok love you."
"Love you too." And just like that it cut off. Well it wasn't that dramatic but Betty was certain Jughead would make time but I suppose it's the Serpent and being in a bar that smells like alcohol and drugs is the last place she wanted to be.

At school

"Veronica, I heard the tragic news please tell me it's a cruel joke." Cheryl said bursting in with her heels clomping like a horse. "I wish it was to be honest." Veronica said rubbing her temples. "I've been avoiding everyone close to Archie because I refuse to answer any questions." Veronica snapped with a wave of guilt washing over her. "Look V I was like this with JJ-."
"Stop talking as if Archie's dead!" Veronica shouted. "I was just trying to help don't be such a bitch!" Cheryl shouted back. "Well I don't need it just go back to Toni or the pretty poisons a place where you are actually wanted!" Veronica said putting her head in her hands. Cheryl stormed out. Veronica looked like a mess. She was dressed in the same clothes as yesterday but she didn't care. All she cared about was Archie's surgery. As the day dragged on Veronica went to the Pembroke to catch up on sleep. She couldn't face Smithers and she shuddered when she saw the vodka bottle. She threw it on the ground with only a drop on the ground. "Miss Veronica is everything ok?" Smithers asked coming to the door. "It's just-that time of the month." Veronica stammered. "Ah yes your mother warned me you can be quite difficult." Smithers nodded but nevertheless he walked away shutting the door behind her. She began to feel sleepy and she ended up passed out in her bedroom.

At Betty's house.

"Mom?" Betty said as she opened the front door. "She went on a business trip for the next week." Polly said leaning on the door frame. It was dark since it was winter but it was only 5:00pm as Betty checked on her wrist watch. Betty decided to take a hot bath. She sat in the bath and all her worries washed away but as soon as she heard her phone ring her happiness drained away. It was the hospital. Betty got up from the bath although it was freezing. She got a text.

Riverdale general hospital: Archibald Andrews is in stable condition visiting hours are from 5:00pm to 9:00pm.

She got dressed in her sweater and a heavy jacket. Betty always hated the dark. "Want a hot drink to take with you?" Polly asked. "They have a canteen." Betty wearily said. "Well it doesn't compare to home." Polly said pouring some chamomile tea into a reusable coffee mug. She threw some keys at her. "Mom left it for us." She said nodding at it. "Thanks Pol." Betty said and she headed out

Thank you for reading this chapter and I post quite frequently I hope that's good 💋