Chapter 26:

"Hockenheim - Part II"

Josie handed out our security passes.

'Each of you will now have full access to all the main areas and if people are interested later then I can arrange for a tour of the track.'

It was a wonderful gesture and I for one hoped I could take her up on the offer.

Vickie Wark had arrived. She had been on one of the earlier flights and was in the pit lane talking to some of the drivers.

'I've found out that there will be a lot of sponsors here this weekend,' said Josie to Max in particular, 'and so I've told Vickie to stay sharp and see if she can't turn a few heads in our direction.'

Josie shrugged.

'Who knows. We may even get lucky.'

I hoped so. For their sake. Thursday was the first day of any Grand Prix weekend and cars needed to be set up after transit. It was always a quiet time by and large and probably the best opportunity Max would get to do any networking.

Somewhere in the distance an engine was reviving. It sounded so different from what I had experienced on the Tv. The noise seemed louder, the pitch a little higher to what I remembered. I took in a deep breath taking it down through my nostrils. I wanted to get a real sense of authenticity to what I was experiencing and as I closed my eyes I could detect that distinctive smell of exhaust fumes.

Max was right.

Just being here was an experience I would never forget and as hard as I tried to stay calm my pulse was racing.

The sun was perched high in the sky. It had a commanding view of the circuit. The temperature was already in the late twenties. Almost everyone I saw was walking around in sunglasses.

A mechanic passed by wheeling a set of tyres, dressed all in red with a yellow motif across the top of his shoulders there really was no point in guessing to which cars they were bound for. Up close the tyres looked huge and as we ventured away from a few of the nearby buildings I finally saw it, the track itself.

It was only a section, a corner but it was the closest I had ever been to the the real thing and I deliberately slowed down to take it all in. A car approached. It was blue and white in colour, almost certainly a Williams car. I wanted to see more but I was suddenly pulled away.

'Come on macho man. We've business to attend to and don't worry; where we're going you're going to get a far better view.'

And by that she meant the start and finish line.

The actual hospitality room was small by corporate standards but beautifully decorated in elegance and refinery able to seat around twelve people most of whom looked as if they were already here. Stewards were on hand to offer beverages and I was immediately given a glass of champagne. One entire wall was made up of glass windows and it was no wonder people paid a huge fortune to dine here because the view was nothing short of spectacular. There was even a narrow veranda should people wish to venture outside.

Max was eager to introduce me to everyone leaving the most important name for last and after I heard his name I knew why.

'Sumo this is Captain Kirk Attwood and Kirk, this is Mr Sumo Takuyama.'

She flashed me a grin.

So this was our main investor.

The man was young. I put him at no more than twenty five. He was impeccably dressed in a dark blue suit and his face was solid and unblemished. His hair was swept back with a gel.