Chapter 1: Our Survival

Photo of Julian ^^^

Chapter 1

Our Survival

Julian's POV

"Alpha, you said you would tell us a story today!" Kane, the youngest member of my pack smiles up at me while holding out his tiny hand as I walk towards him.

Kane is 6 years old with chocolate brown eyes and the cutest dimples I have ever seen on a child. His father is one of my warriors and his mother helps take care of the children.

My mate would normally be the one to take care of the pack's emotional needs and help teach the children, but I don't have a mate. I haven't found them yet, and I doubt I ever will with the type of reclusive life we all lead.

I try my hardest to be the best alpha I can be as well as spend time with the pack children to help them develop character and learn as much as they can.

Looking down at Kane I chuckle and take in his appearance. He's shirtless, like most rogue children are, and covered in dirt. Clothing is scares for rogues, what clothing we do have has been made out of skins from the prey we hunt. Although, we rarely use them as we are in our wolf forms the majority of the time.

His messy curls are tangled, and it looks as if he has been running around all day.

"Did you even go to lessons today?" Chuckling, I roll my eyes at his little pout. His bottom lip jutting out as he huffs and folds his arms over his chest. I have my rules for the children in order to make sure they get an education, or as much as an education as we have to offer them.

They all love the stories that I tell them, so I use that as leverage to get them to attend lessons. Kane's mother is the teacher so he tried his best to rope in the other pups.

As a rogue pack, our children don't get to go to public schools. We are hidden far away in No-Man's land, staying clear of neighboring packs and trying to survive day by day. It is a constant struggle and the longer we are out here, the more I worry about my pack's future.

It's an unavoidable problem, yet I managed to put it off for 16 years. It's none that the longer wolves are on their own, the more feral they become. Luckily for us, we escaped together and stick together. None of us have yet to lose our humanity, although our eyes have turned red.

When our connection to our pack was broken, and my parents were killed, I was too young to assume their position. Our eyes turned red and by the time I was 18 and could accept the title, it was too late and the change was permanent.

The more time I spend watching the pack pups grow up and the longer I spend fighting for their survival, the more I worry about all of us.

I worry for the children, knowing what it's like to be so young and forced to live the life of a rogue. I was Kane's age, 6-years-old when my pack and family were overthrown. Many members of our old pack died trying to protect us, my parents died soon after they managed to send me away with a handful of pack members in hopes of our survival.

Bailey was my father's best friend and our pack's strongest warrior. I escaped with him when my parents gave the orders to take me away and we met up with the other runners in No-Man's land.

By then, the rest of our pack had been slaughtered along with my parents. Bailey raised me and kept me alive until I took the position of apha. I vowed to protect what's left of my pack and rebuild what my parent's lost all those years ago.

However, it's been 16 years since we left, 3 years since I've become alpha, and we still are living like animals.

Kane snaps his fingers making me shake my head to clear my thoughts.