Chapter 5: Alpha

Julian ^^^ Goddess, where can I get a Julian at?

Chapter 5

Alpha

Julian's POV

My body ached as I woke up in a damp and cold cell. My limbs felt sluggish and although my body hasn't shifted out of my wolf form, I can feel something wrapped around my back legs, forcing me to stay on my belly with my back legs tucked under me.

The cell is cramped, only a large bowl filled with water in the corner, making the dryness in my mouth suddenly unbearable as I crawl over to the bucket and start lapping up water, soothing the burning in my throat. I can smell Bailey and Hunter somewhere nearby and try calling to them through the pack link only to be met with silence as my voice reverberates through my mind.

I try linking my pack back in the forest, but only get the same hollow bouncing of my call through my head forcing a low growl through my lips that are pulled back over my teeth with my growing agitation. I try standing up, only to be met with a sharp pain in my legs that has me snarling and crumbling to the concrete floor.

It's been 16 years since I last was inside a building and not in the large span of forestry that I now called my home and being trapped in such a confined space has my eyes darting around in attempts to locate an exit. Somehow, I believe there is no exit that I can get to. Whoever took me here, doesn't want me to leave.

My memories begin catching up with me as I struggle on the floor to free myself from the contraptions on my back legs. I found my mate. He is a part of the neighboring pack next to the free land we had been scouting. What a horrible first impression, I scold myself as I nip at the hard cloth that wraps my legs together.

I had only laid eyes on him for a few moments before I was knocked out, but in those few moments, I swore I had never gazed at someone so beautiful. I had no problem that my mate was a male; it doesn't bother me at all. Spending your life hearing stories of mates and thinking that we would never find our mate because of our rogue status made me even more open to the idea of having a male mate.

I think I would have taken whatever the Goddess threw at me for a mate. I would gratefully scoop up a human mate if the Goddess gave me one at all, but she didn't give me a human mate. She gave me a strong male shifter, and I couldn't be happier.

However, the happiness doesn't last long as I remember the look in my mate's eyes as he glared down at us, his foot pressed to my throat as he called me a monster. Something didn't add up with my dear mate, I could smell the anger rolling off him as well as the deep and heavy undertone of fear and sadness.

The sound of a cell opening has my ears pinning back to my head, a low growl rumbling through my chest. The sound of boots thudding across the floor has me on guard. I can't deny that being in such a new setting isn't making me nervous; I am used to trees and grass, open skies and fresh air. This place smells of filth, blood, and fear.

The low hanging light that brightens the hallway swings slightly as the figure of a man steps to my cell door. He looks to be older, maybe Bailey's age, and wearing a pair of jeans and a dark button-up shirt. His glasses sit on his nose as he gives a soft smile in my direction, only causing me to growl louder and try and back up.

"Calm down, pup. I am not here to harm you." His voice is soft as if talking to a child. Who the fuck is he calling a pup?! I am an alpha! "I am here to help." The man digs in his pockets and pulls out a rattling bunch of metal that has me snarling and snapping my teeth.

The man doesn't flinch, he only looks at me funny. His smile faltering and his eyes running over my form before he sighs heavily and shakes his head. Whatever this man wants, he is going to lose a hand trying to get it. My packmates are out there alone, without their alpha, and who knows where Bailey and Hunter are.