choose me (3)

A/N: yeah... sorry for ghostin this book for like a month... busy crying over the euphoria finale

~

You fight against an overwhelming drowsiness and blink open heavy eyelids, and a high-pitched ringing in your ears blocks out any sound around you. Numbness trickles down your legs as you try to open your eyes wider and see past black dots dancing around across your vision. The first thing you finally see is two widened brown eyes up close in your face trying to get your attention. When your hearing comes back, Peter's voice replaces the ringing, almost on the same octave as before.

"Y/N, you're awake! I felt so bad, it was all my fault but--"

"W-where's Michelle?" you stutter, cutting Peter off mid-sentence. He sighs and the mattress beneath you shifts as he collapses on the side of the hotel bed. You narrow your eyes at him and replay your most recent memories, but the last thing you remember is holding Michelle's hand, running out of the opera.

"You got hit really bad in the head with debris, but MJ helped you until I could get there and bring you back, but listen--" Peter clarifies and things start to make minimal sense.

"I asked you where she was," you snap, not caring if you sound mean. Peter's expression clouds over with dread, and fear brings that numb feeling back, emotionally and physically.

"Listen, I know I can be really oblivious, because I have some other things happening in my life," Peter starts, awkwardly staring down at his hands instead of looking to you.

"Yeah, because you're Spider-man," you burst his bubble and his chin jerks up as he finally meets your eyes again, shock in them. You cross your arms and raise your eyebrows, as if to say, you may be oblivious, but I'm not. His head droops again and the guilty look comes back, and you wish he would just say whatever it is already.

"No comment, but, uh-- Look, I really, really care about you. Just, not in the way you think... the thing is, I like someone else," Peter rambles on and your jaw drops and laughter spills out of your lips.

"Wait-- you think I like you?" you try to not sound completely shocked, but it's kind of hard. Leave it to Peter to think he finally figured something out only to still see it the wrong way.

"Well, yeah, I mean, no offense, but it's super obvious... you constantly trying to keep Michelle away from me," Peter takes his turn to laugh a little, like he's eased up seeing you not react in anger or sadness. The pounding in your head increases with this headache of a situation, and all you want is to talk to her and not him, but you need to finally tell the truth to someone.

"It's not you, Peter," you sigh, letting your head fall back to the pillow behind you to stare up at the painted ceiling rather than at his desperately confused face.

"Then why-- who-- oh..." you listen to Peter think out loud, as he finally pieces everything together and freezes in realization.

"It's fine, okay? You win, I give up. I like Michelle, but she probably doesn't even know and likes you anyways, so whatever," you confess, voice dropping as you say the words aloud. When he says nothing for a few more seconds, you lift your head up and see him looking not at you, but towards the doorway. Following his gaze, your eyes land on MJ standing in the doorway, looking straight at you.

"Fuck," you mumble, and quickly grab the pillow beside you to cover up your face. You hear whispering between the two of them and if you weren't in so much pain, you'd run out of the room and fly yourself back to the states and never look back. You can't help but miss the way things were before you came on vacation, the butterflies of a crush. Knowing it would end this way as soon as your feelings started, but ignoring them and falling anyway. But now it's all exploded in Europe, feelings intensified and reaching the breaking point.