Obstacles | I Will Always Find You | I

The following is the winning entry from our Obstacles contest in conjunction with Romance. Congratulations to our winner!

The full list of winning entries can be found here.

*

PROMPT

Something, or someone, is in your way. Whether you are a stalker about to claim your latest victim, or a lover desperately searching for your partner, or a cop on the hunt for the biggest criminal—the goal is always the same:

"I will always find you."

*

I Will Always Find You

by Chillytv

Young men and women crowded around the Sky Hotel lobby half-dressed with a mixture of bored and annoyed expressions on their faces. They'd come here for spring break, but the staff kept them from their planned festivities. Instead, they were forced to wait for overbooked room assignments.

The manager huddled over a computer with a female coworker desperately scanning for more rooms. Kate approached the counter to give them welcome news.

"I'm checking out, room 1015," she placed the two plastic key cards on the counter.

The manager turned his laser-whitened smile in her direction. Then unhurried, pulled up her reservation on the machine in front of him.

"Ah, here it is, Ms. Campbell. It looks like you're all set. Can I interest you in becoming a club member? You'll receive discounts on all your future stays."

"No, thank you."

Kate smiled at the man. No, she wouldn't be returning. She'd used an old account under her maiden name to pay for everything. She looked down when she felt a tug on the hem of her shirt.

"Mommy, where are we going?"

"I already told you, remember? We're taking another plane ride today."

"I don't want to fly again!"

Her son crossed his arms over his body his bottom lip poking out. The threat of making a scene clear if she tried to force him to move. She stroked his light brown hair so much like his father's.

"How about we pick up some ice cream before we go?"

He dropped his arms and grabbed her hand bouncing up and down.

The A1A had filled with cars before breakfast. By lunch, teenagers listening to loud music blended together with the sounds of giddy laughter and boisterous conversations. Kate turned up her own radio. Her son asleep in the back seat with drops of chocolate ice cream on his face and shirt didn't stir.

There was breaking news and the radio station paused its jubilant spring break set in favor of an update in the Jeffries vs. State case.

NEWS REPORTER: