Chapter 9

I knew that I needed to call home. I had left a note on the kitchen table, saying that I would. I didn't know how mom was going to react to all of this. I tried to remember what it said...

"Dear Mom,

Please read every word of this.

As you might've guessed, I haven't been happy...for a long time. You tried so hard to cheer me up, making special meals that I loved, being comforting. But I didn't cheer up, I only got worse. I hate to say it, and I'm not sure if you hate to hear it, but I know you hated the way I was. The way I am. The mad hair, the black clothes, scared to come out of my room. I'm sorry. But I'm not going to fake who I am.

I simply can't stay here any longer, it's gotten to be too much. I'm moving out, by the time you read this I will be away. Please don't panic. I will phone you as soon as I can. Please forgive me.

Jenna"

I sighed.

                                                                           ~*~

"Jenna?" I heard Drake call.

"Yeah?"

I heard him hesitate.

"Umm...could...could you come here a sec?"

I wandered outside taking in the beautiful view of Los Angeles. The city looked so nice. Just seeing it made me want to dance ecstatically...but that wouldn't be acceptable of course...and I would never do it anyway! But I was in LA. A place where people with dreams...fitted in.

I could see Drake in the pool in an old t-shirt and swimming trunks. I smiled and forgot that he had called for help. I ran behind a huge rock, ready to tackle when suddenly I stopped short.

Within a millisecond I was on the ground. Soaring pains entered my stomach as I laughed uncontrollaby. Drake was stuck in a rubber ring. He kept trying to get out, but as he did so he faceplanted the water each time. It was too hilarious to stay silent.

At first he glared, attempting to looking unimpressed(and failing by falling over again). But he soon saw the funny side of it.

I ran inside to get my phone while he yelled at me crossly. I came back out and started recording. Drake was furious. He again tried to get out, but yet again faceplanted the water as I laughed cruelly by the side of the pool.

A few hours later when Drake was finally free from the rubber ring of doom, I asked, "Now how'd youn manage that?"

"It was the wrong one. I didn't look." he sulked.

I gave him a quick hug and suddenly remembered. I needed to phone my mom.

I told Drake and asked if I could use the phone.

                                                                             ~*~

I was petrified. What was she going to say? Would she be upset, angry...happy?

She picked up after two rings.

"Jenna is that you?"

"Yeah it's me."

"Where are you?!"

"I'm at a friend's house."

"Get back here this instant!" she said trembling.

"No mom, I can't. This is where I need to be. I can't be the daughter you want me to be. I just can't stand looking at you when I see you're disappointed in me. I can't take it anymore. I love you mom, so much. But this is my decision and if you try to make me come back I will only repeatedly go away again."

"If you loved me you'd come back."

"Don't start this mom. I do love you. I always will. But I'm not coming back. Goodbye mom, I'll phone soon." I whispered then hung up.

Drake ran into the room and hugged me as I cried.

"No going back now." I thought.