🌻 Chapter 1 - Shoulder to Cry On 🌻

There were tears on the screen before he even turned it on.
Only when the familiar glow of his shabby, well-used phone indicated the lock screen had appeared did he wipe the glass surface with his damp sleeve, leaving a smudge of moisture. A couple of notifications were shown, but only one of them was important right now.

A new message from Freddy.

It wasn't much...just the regular, 'Hi, how are you?' sort of thing. Regardless, it was enough to slow the stream of tears down Bonnie's pink cheeks and put a little hint of a smile on his face.

He texted back as honestly as he could,

"I'm not so good"

It only took a minute for the other boy to respond, and even through the texts his concern was evident,

"Why what's up? Did something happen??"

"I guess so,"

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

What had happened earlier wasn't a particularly big deal, yet it had hit Bonnie hard enough for him to cry. This, admittedly, was easy to do due to the young man's sensitivity, but talking to Freddy always cheered him up, if only a little bit.

"Yeah please, if it's not too much trouble."

"Of course not. You know i'm always here for you Bonnie"

Bonnie wiped his eyes as dry as he could and started to vent the day's events to his online friend.

"Well..these guys from school keep giving me trouble for no reason. I guess they want a reaction or something, but today they just wouldn't leave me alone,"

That was all true, but Bonnie was hesitant to tell Freddy what else they did.
As he saw it, Freddy already had enough to worry about without having to fret over the little issues to do with the shy boy he talked to on the internet, but he also had to confess that hiding things like this only made him feel guilty. Guilty for not telling the truth to his most trusted friend, guilty for being so selfish to lie instead.

It was stupid that Bonnie couldn't even agree with himself, he found himself thinking, but the blink of yet another new message shook him from his concerns.

"That's so dumb, they're no better than little kids and they should grow up already, guys like that are the insecure ones,"

Despite himself, Bonnie couldn't help but chuckle a little at that. Little kids, huh? What with how intimidating he found his bullies to be, he had never thought of it that way...but the comparison made a lot of sense.

As the boy's fingers moved to type a reply, he was interrupted by a sharp knock at the door to his small room.

He mentally cursed himself,
I locked my door again, didn't I?

"Hang on! Sorry!"

He jumped up and called apologetically to the person on the other side of the door, hurridly clicking the lock open and swinging the door wide enough to see his mother's lopsided smile. He had already forgotten that his eyes were most likely still red, and his cheeks still flushed from crying.

"Mom! Sorry, I-I keep forgettin' to unlock my door for you and dad, di-did you need somethin'?

The nervous stutter was painfully obvious.
The look of suspicion that replaced her cheery smile was even more so.

"It's alright hon', I just wanted to let you know that your dad wants you to come along to the supermarket with him, he'll be waiting in the car,"

"Oh, yeah, a-alright! I'll be down in a second!"

Bonnie's mother looked as if she wanted to say something else, but in the end she just gave him a sympathetic smile and headed back down the staircase briskly.

His eyes followed her down until she was out of view, and he shut the door without much conviction. A sigh of relief escaped his lips.

The phone was back in his hands, with the familiar feel of it's smooth surface against Bonnie's palm. He resumed typing his message.

"They really are immature I guess, you're right lol. I gotta go help my dad out, ttyl?"

With a last glance at his phone and one more fleeting smile, Bonnie shrugged on a jacket, plugged the charging cord into his phone and left his bedroom in it's dishevelled state.

"Ttyl Bonnie :)"