🌻 Chapter 2 - A Silent Drive 🌻

"You...uh...got your seatbelt on, son?"

Bonnie made a noise of affirmation, before looking pointedly out of the car window to his right. The car wasn't moving.

His father cleared his throat and the small, beat-up car lurched forwards. Bonnie's dad was a tall man in his mid 40s, with long, wiry lavender hair tied up in a scruffy ponytail. A few loose strands hung close to his cheeks, where a cluster of darker purple hair shaped vaguely like a beard and moustache were placed on his thin face. If not for the respectable choice of clothes; a pinstripe shirt and plain dark pants, the man in the driver's seat could be mistaken for a homeless person. Bonnie's mother often joked about this, in fact.

That, and the 'uncanny resemblance' of his father and himself. As much as it pained Bonnie to admit, she may be right, at least to a certain degree anyways. He had definitely inherited his father's thin face, purple hair, and with the exception of his mother's bright eyes and snub nose, much of the two males' facial features were similar. It was easy to tell they were related, though Bonnie didn't exactly consider that a blessing.

Bonnie's eyes darted from the passing urban scenery to the back of his dad's head when the older man cleared his throat again, with intent.

"Sure aren't talkative today, son. Are you daydreamin' 'bout pretty girls or somethin'?"

He chuckled with his tired, low voice and glanced idly at his teen son in the rearview mirror. His reply came in the form of a scoff and a groan.

"Aw come on now, Bonnie, not even gon' give your old dad a laugh? You know you wanna,"

Bonnie glared daggers into the back of the driver's seat. No, he was certainly not going to give his dad a laugh, though it wasn't like there was anything to laugh at anyway. He despised when anybody made jokes at his expense, which was doubly true for his father, and luckily for him his father was one of the few people he had the nerve to outwardly express this distain to.

Making this as obvious as possible by averting his gaze and folding his arms across his chest, Bonnie spoke plainly,

"No, I'm not,"

The short sentence was laced with a grumbling mix of defiance and annoyance. There was absolutely no way his dad could avoid picking up on it even if he tried, which most times he did. That frustrated his son even more than his 'jokes' ever could, the fact he actively and adamantly ignored the clear signs of Bonnie's disliking for him, he ignored the reason for that too, which was the worst part.

"Bonnie...now, what's got you so twisted up today son?"

"Nothing..." Bonnie murmured,

He clicked the chafing seatbelt off as they pulled into a parking space near the supermarket, who's neon light was dim against the setting August sun. Bonnie prayed to himself that this trip would be short, and that he wouldn't have to interact with anybody except the cashier. He also found himself regretting the decision to not bring his phone with him to help prevent anybody talking to him.

Oh well, he thought, at least he could browse the stationery aisle for any school supplies he might need, come September.