"I think we should ask around. See if anyone recognizes the handwriting."

"Right." We needn't ask around. I knew.

"C' mon get your coat, let's go," Seabury said.

I nodded.

I was dumbfounded. No way. No way that such a good man could be a serial killer. Maybe he was illiterate and needed someone to write the note for him and that someone happened to be The Serial Killer. And that he addressed letters in the same exact manner.

There was no way past it. He was the killer. I couldn't deny it.

"Wait," I said. "Can I see it again? I might recognize it..."

"Here you are." Seabury handed it to me.

Definitely.

I pulled my letter out of my coat.

"You got anything?"

I swallowed. "I got the same letter." I handed Elizabeth Schuyler's and mine to him.

"What? This morning?"

"No. Last night."

"Did you go?"

I nodded, slowly.

"You are a pansy!"

"I'm not... I thought it was a girl! And is that really relevant now?" I groaned.

"Well..." He raised an eyebrow. "Who was it?"

"...Thomas Jefferson."

"From the roller rink?"

"Yes."

"And he didn't kill you?"

"Well, obviously." I sat back down in my desk chair.

"Don't you think that's odd?"

"Yeah, but we don't know. Maybe he gave Schuyler the letter a day before her murder. A week. We have no idea. He could be waiting it out. Could kill me whenever."

"You think he wrote one for each victim?"

"I don't know... where does the red ribbon come in at?"

"That's what we're supposed to figure out. Did he do anything suspicious when you met with him?"

"No..."

Seabury facepalmed. "He was trying to court you, was he not?"

"Well... yes, but-"

"Okay, that's definitely suspicious. He's a man, you're a... you're almost into manhood..."

I gave him a side-eye. It was the running joke of the department that I was "far too boyish to be in criminal justice."

"Anyways, Madison, that's super suspicious. And even more, since he knew you were a cop."

I nodded.

"What if he's taunting us? What if he  drops off the grid all of a sudden, never to be seen again?" Seabury made large gestures with his arms.

"I don't know... I could go see if he's at the roller rink."

"Great idea. I'll get my coat-"

"No. Just me." I held his gaze.

"Mmmm... fine. But I'm waiting in the car."

"Thanks, mother."

***

The rink wasn't open yet.

"Well, what now?" I asked.

"I don't know, you tell me. This was your idea." Seabury slammed his hands on the steering wheel. "We know who the killer is! We should be getting a warrant, not waiting around for your lover boy."