"Jefferson's in questioning room 3, so if Seabury and you want to go in, he's all yours."

"Well, I'm off the case-"

"Actually." Seabury materialized behind me. "We'll go right in. Stand up Madison."

"What? I-"

"Can it."

As odd as it was, I went along with it. I was pleased to be able to continue on with the case. Well, that, and see Thomas again, even if he was in custody.

The door let out a shuddering creak as it swung open.

And there he was.

He sat at the table, his head in his hands. He didn't even look up as we came in.

I shut the door behind me.

"We have a few questions for you." Seabury's firm voice echoed through the small room.

He grunted in response.

Seabury took the chair, leaving me standing.

"Why do you think you're here?"

Thomas' head went up and he eyed Seabury suspiciously.

"The officers said it was on a murder charge, which I didn't-"

"Ah! Be quiet just a minute." Seabury pushed his chair back as he stood. "Tell me why your's and Miss Lewis' accounts on almost every day of the murders differs."

Seabury pulled the tape recorder out of his pocket.

"I... You're dragging Maria into this?"

Seabury glanced back at me, giving me a look that he expected me to say something.

Oh, right.

"Tell us. If you can give us a reason then we'll let you go, uh..." I lost my train of thought as Thomas stared at me.

"If you can tell us, then we'll hold you until you are either proven guilty or not guilty of the Red Ribbon Murders."

That's what the press had dubbed them that morning. Took them long enough.

"Do you know how long you can go to prison for murdering someone?" Seabury slid his hands across the table, his rings making a sharp and cruel noise.

"Uh... life?"

"That's right. And we wouldn't want you wrongly accused... so spill."

"What am I supposed to say? I don't know!" Either he was a phenomenal actor or he was telling the truth.

"Seabury," I warned. "Can I speak with you a minute?"

"No, Madison, can't you see I'm busy?"

I rolled my eyes. "He's telling the truth."

Thomas looked in desperation from me to Seabury. Poor guy.

"Yeah, I get that. I was just testing him."

"We'll let you go. But make sure if you see or hear anything to come down to the station. Or call." I fished in my pocket for the business cards I know I kept on hand. And also a pen.

I scrawled something quickly on the back of it before handing it to the mystifying and innocent man.

"My landline..." I dropped my voice low, so Seabury couldn't hear.

"Yes, of course." He smiled. "See you around, pal."

His handshake was firm, it lacked no confidence. One of our parole officers escorted him out.