thirty two

"Mommy?" Kai turned over in bed to face his mom. Sometimes he would wake up in the middle of the night and climb into her bed. He never woke her up when he did until now.

She wiped her eyes, she always was ready to give him her full attention no matter how tired she was.

"Yes baby?" She smiled. No matter what Bryson did to her when she looked at Kai all she wanted to do was thank him for her baby.

Kai was her salvation. She was in such a dark place before she got pregnant.

"Are you mad at daddy?" He asked, and it broke her heart even more. She confused him, they confused him by trying again

She remembered the way she felt about her own father when her mother would admit to her about the way he made her feel, so she put a smile on her face. "Of course not love."

"It's okay if you are." Kai assured his mom, "I get mad at him sometimes too."

She laughed, he really shouldn't be the one comforting her. She had to be the adult in the situation. But even though she was smiling Kai could see the truth in her face so he continued.

"If daddy hurts you mom it's okay I could find a new daddy." He smiled at his mom.

"I love your dad Kai he gave me you." Her smile was genuine this time, "Besides your dad will always be your dad no matter what love. No one could replace him."