|Prologue

It rarely happened, but sometimes when Harry woke up, he'd find Louis already awake and sitting in the chair next to the window. Neither of them would speak, Louis being too lost in his own thoughts, and Harry being too scared to interrupt him.

Louis would be crying at times, and Harry would try his best to be there. He'd walk over to the chair and kneel in front of him, soothingly tracing his fingers against Louis' thighs. Even then, the couple still didn't need to speak, already knowing what the other would say.

When Louis would calm down, the only signs of him having ever cried being the stains on his rosy cheeks, he'd hug his husband like he was his lifeline. Then, he'd lightly chuckle in disbelief while his watery gaze would search for Harry's comforting green one.

The look that his husband gave each time easily makes Harry realize that the following conversation would be a repetitive one, and he would just know what Louis would say next.

"Life is cruel."

Harry would only nod in response, pretending that he had never heard Louis say that one before. He had figured that agreeing with whatever he had said would put him to ease faster.

Louis would be silent again for a minute or two, usually rocking back and forth in Harry's arms at this time. "But life keeps going, so you just have to move on."

By the end of Louis' comments, Harry would just clutch his husband tighter against his chest and bury his face into the messy hair on top of his head. Harry would be subtle about it, but while in this position, he would always have the perfect opportunity to breathe in the familiar scent that was just Louis. His Louis.

"She'd want you to move on, love. You've just got to let go," the taller of the two would say eventually, and every time Louis would agree with him too.

Louis would usually complain some more though, his stubborn streak showing through as he continued to fight, which was quite hypocritical to what he had stated before. He just needed a little help with letting things go sometimes.

"I know, but Isla was so young; and had a life yet to live. It won't be the same without her," Louis would murmur into his shoulder, face pressed against Harry's left clavicle to seek comfort and warmth.

Harry, always having been the master of distraction and evasion, would lead Louis out of their bedroom and out into the hallway before the shorter of the two would blow up. Only then, he would remind his forgetful husband what the conversation was about in the first place.

"Just like you say, Lou, life goes on. Now, what would you like for breakfast today?"

By the question, Louis would smile and look up at Harry with those big eyes of his, usually asking for the one thing that would cheer any man up.

"Chocolate chip pancakes?"

Harry would respond with a chuckle, dimples popping out into his cheeks. Louis loved to poke them, so Harry would try to be his happiest around the grieving man — despite him hurting too. Their childhood best friend had just passed away recently after all.

"Of course we can have pancakes."

Everything would be forgotten then. Louis would laugh and smile, and would always try to help his husband cook breakfast. Harry would just scold Louis every time though, the smaller man having a tendency to cause trouble.

Together, they would eat the pancakes that Harry would have had to remake and share tender touches, always having to let the other know that they were there, despite sitting right across from each other.

The pair had then simply moved on with their days, usually having to go in to work or just cuddling up on the couch, and that was that.

The prologue is a little on the short side, but I'm very happy with how it turned out anyways!

If there's any mistakes, please let me know; I'd like to learn from them, and your help to point them out would be appreciated.

I hope that this chapter gave you an insight of what their personalities and relationship with each other was like. If you have any questions or comments regarding the prologue, don't be afraid to ask/post! I'll try my absolute best to respond to each one.

744 words
Unedited

-Abby Xx