|One

The night that it had happened, Louis came home from work just like any other normal day. However, during this particular day, he returned very irritated and cussed up a storm as soon as he passed through the front door.

Harry had glanced in the general direction of the front hallway from his position on the couch, his hands busy folding the t-shirt beside him. He had just fetched the load of laundry from the dryer, and figured he would be able to watch television and fold the load before his husband got home.

As soon as the shorter man entered the living room, he smiled, but Harry knew the tightness behind it.

"Come here," he offered as he tossed the laundry hamper aside, gesturing towards his lap.

Louis seemed hesitant at first, but he sighed and eventually strolled over close enough for Harry to pull him onto his lap anyways.

The younger of the two brushed Louis' messy fringe out of his face. His husband must have been pulling at it today, the ends twisting in every direction.

"What's happened love?"

Louis snorted, turning within Harry's grasp to be able to look at him properly. "One of my employees was caught masturbating in the restrooms. Like, I would have let him go off with a severe warning if he was caught by another employee, but no, a customer had to report the incident to me."

Harry had to physically place a hand over his mouth to muffle his giggles. After a minute to compose himself— and a minute of Louis glaring at him— he finally responded.

"Sorry, sorry. Wow, I just- What do you want me to say, Lou?"

His husband shrugged. "Nothing, it's just going to be a lot of paperwork to fill out. And that's not even half of it; don't get me started on all of the customer complaints today."

Harry frowned, concerned, but he seemed to know who Louis was referring to anyways. "I thought the old lady moved? Or died?"

The shorter laughed. "Man, I wish. Harry, I'm serious, but I think she's been out to get me. She's been on my back ever since I've denied her expired coupons a few months ago."

"I thought you said being a manager was easy," Harry teased then, poking his husband's nose.

Louis shook his head and shrugged, contradicting both actions. "I don't know anymore. I swear these horny high-schoolers are going to give me grey hairs though."

Harry reached up to soothe the frustrated crease between Louis' eyebrows, his fingers burning from the warm skin there.

"Are you feeling okay?"

Louis seemed confused for a second, as if he was thinking over how to properly answer in his mind.

"To be honest, no. I've had a headache since break this morning," he finally responded before getting up and off of Harry's lap. "I think I'm going to take some NyQuil and head to bed early."

Harry continued to scan over his husband's features. "Do you reckon the headache is from too much caffeine? Babe, I've told you to limit yourself; you'll have a heart attack or something."

Louis waved him off.

"I've been limiting myself, don't worry."

The taller of the two seemed suspicious about Louis' answer, but decided to ignore it for now. He'll just remind his forgetful husband in the morning. "Do you want me to join you?"

"You can finish your show first, H. There's only five minutes left. I'll meet you in bed," Louis smiled in reassurance before finally making his way down the hallway and into their bedroom.

Harry wanted to join his husband, but Louis was right. There was only five or so minutes left of the episode he was watching, which was also plenty of time to finish folding the laundry. He figured that he'd be able to complete both before crashing in bed for the rest of the night.

Once both things were finished, Harry made his way to their bedroom, already finding his husband asleep in the middle of the bed. He smiled at the sight, and decided to change in the bathroom so he wouldn't disrupt Louis.

The lights in the small porcelain-filled room were bright, so Harry had to close the door. He yawned as he got dressed in a pair of loose-fitting pajama shorts, his bleary vision barely catching sight of the small bottle left on the counter.

Harry, being the one who usually picked up after his husband sometimes, simply placed the medication back into its designated cabinet without sparing it a single glance.

When he retired back into their bedroom and finally joined Louis in bed, Harry didn't hesitate to throw an arm around his husband's chest. He loved to feel Louis' heart beat below his fingertips, the feeling alone made him content like no other.

But there were two mistakes that Harry had made that night. Two mistakes that he'd forever feel guilty for, even if it wasn't his fault.

863 words
Unedited

If there's any mistakes, please let me know; I'd like to learn from them, and your help to point them out would be appreciated.

~ Abby Xx